• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

I think I'm turning Japanese...

matrixone

Its been a while since I have built any non-Luftwaffe models so I dug this Tamiya kit out of the stash and started it, this is an older Tamiya kit and is crude compared to their more recent kits and does not have very exciting surface detail but maybe with some careful painting and weathering an attractive model could still be made from it.

Here is the box top.

hc9ab616.JPG

Some basic construction has already been done.

hdcdbeba.JPG

Dry fitting of some of the larger parts of the airframe...no doubt some filler will be needed but since there is so little surface detail this will be super easy to do, I just hate destroying molded on surface detail by filling and sanding but not any problems here!

hea94714.JPG

The kits decals are not that good but years ago I bought some after market decal sheets and will be using some of them.

Matrixone

Very nice. As an addicted to japanese WWII aircraft I am looking forward to your progress.

:popcorn

Cheers,

Alex
Alex you must see what Les can do with an airbrush - absalutely amazing :woohoo:

As someone who dearly love Japanese aircraft , I want you to know that if the call for a Kamikaze mission comes up I'll volunteer you guys to go first :rotf

Cheers, Christian B)

Oh well, I guess that we can make some damage as Tokko pilots... I am game as long as I get to fly an Okha! :pilot

Thanks for looking guys! (y)

Sadly my go-to book for Japanese aircraft painting information has next to nothing on the Ki-84 interior. :bang head

h60d3bba.JPG

Since I struck out on getting information on Ki-84 interior colors I did the next best thing and found a color photograph of a post war Ki-84 that had some remains of the original cockpit colors inside and mixed up some paint to match that color and sprayed the cockpit parts. Detail painting of the cockpit will be done soon.
While I had the airbrush out I sprayed the engine face and cowl interior metall, the engine cylinders will get a wash with oil paint to darken them and bring out some of the molded in detail.
The color profile below the kit parts is the markings I am using for this model.

h4c2321c.JPG

In the above picture the engine looks like its unpainted...the picture below proves the engine indeed is painted in metall.

h8516257.JPG

Matrixone

Back