• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

I think I'm turning Japanese...

I still have the notes from my 1:32 'Frank', and coincidentally I've just used the same mix for my 'Dinah'

Tamiya 'Deep Green' & 'Chromate Yellow' mixed 4:1, looked very good to my eye especially when dry-brushed with a yellowish green.

Ian.

Looking good! I like that metallic look on the engine. That is really gonna pop when you wash it in an oil color.

hdc219cd.JPG

Your doing a fine job ... more research on the color is needed thought this is the Pearl harbor interior color ...

After going through my Japanese Interior book again I remembered why I don't build many Japanese aircraft models, there is a mass of confusion when it comes to the colors used in their cockpits since there was no standardization like there were on Luftwaffe aircraft. Its hard to believe that a country that had such poor construction standards in their hi-tech machines of the day like their aircraft could today produce the finest built cars in the world such as the Lexus. They have come a long way. :salute

Since this old 1970's vintage kit has such limited cockpit detail there is not much detail to paint so what you see in these images is as far as I am going to go...besides not a whole lot will be seen on the finished model.

he87f129.JPG

h6d66bf3.JPG

ha5ab162.JPG

h3c210ac.JPG

Matrixone

I glued the fuselage halves together and that was trouble free but the gun cowl was a poor fit with the part not being wide enough and there is a gap I will have to fill.
After the fuselage dried for a couple hours I wanted to dry fit the wings to the fuselage and found there will be some gaps at the wing roots, this should be easy to fix...if this was a Focke-Wulf Fw 190 I would be cursing right about now but the Ki-84 wing roots are smooth with no gun access panels to work around.

Matrixone

Hey Les, found a Sky Models Ki-84 decal sheet in my 'stash', if you want it, you can have it.

Ian.

Ian,
Thanks so much for the offer on the decal sheet but I have had two 'Errormaster' decal sheets for the Ki-84 for years and should use them before they age too much more.

Speaking of decal sheets for the Ki-84 I had been told that this older Tamiya kit was actually close to 1/50 scale instead of 1/48 scale and the more recent decal sheets might not fit the model properly...I was looking over the Aeromaster instructions for their Ki-84 decals and much to my relief the recommended kit is the same Tamiya kit I am building, the more recent Hasegawa Ki-84 kit which is a true 1/48 scale did not exist when Aeromaster produced their decal sheet.

Matrixone

The basic airframe is nearly done, I used super glue as a seam filler and is a very fast way to fill seams. On this model with its very limited surface detail I could see no reason not to use super glue, there was not really any surface detail on the wing roots of this kit to erase when sanding down the super glue.

The white you see on parts of the airframe is Tamiya brush on primer, I will use fine grit sandpaper and wet sand most of the primer off to blend in the sanding marks with the smooth bare plastic.

h9dc8e54.JPG

hdd2853e.JPG

hae116dd.JPG

And in this image you can see the IP decal, it looks okay and once the canopy is on not too much of it will be seen which is a good thing because according to my Kagero Ki-84 book the IP decal is completely wrong.

hace1281.JPG

Matrixone

Thanks for looking guys!

An update on the Ki-84...

The airframe's areas that needed putty work has been sanded down and also the canopy has been glued on and masked.
The propeller/spinner has been put together and painted, its now ready for weathering.

h3fca840.JPG

h7ea4c04.JPG

The lower surfaces have been given a thin coat of light gray and some highlights with white paint have been airbrushed on.

h67cd699.JPG

Some pre-shading with medium gray paint will be done next.

Below is the next Japanese plane I intend to build.

hcf578e2.JPG

h38ea4e9.JPG

h026a986.JPG

Matrixone

Thank you Paul, the Ki-48 is such an old kit there is not much to it and is kind of blah so the much newer Ki-46 kit will be a lot more interesting to build.

Matrixone

Back