• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

I-16 Mosca the blue tailed fly.

phantom II

Master at Arms
Just thought I would switch thing up a bit here while the Future dries on the Nate.

I started scribing this 1/48 I-16 . I should have called it a Ishack ( Donkey )as it represents a Russian bird but I like Mosca ( Fly ) as it is so small and it is going to have a blue tail.

The Polikarpov I-16 was a Soviet fighter aircraft of revolutionary design; it was the world's first low-wing cantilever monoplane fighter with retractable landing gear to have attained operational status and as such "introduced a new vogue in fighter design."[1] The I-16 was introduced in the mid-1930s and formed the backbone of the Soviet Air Force at the beginning of World War II. The diminutive fighter, nicknamed "Ishak", "Ishachok" ("Donkey", "Burro") by Soviet pilots, prominently featured in the Second Sino-Japanese War,[2] the Battle of Khalkhin Gol[2] and the Spanish Civil War[3][4] – where it was called the Rata ("Rat") by the Nationalists or Mosca ("Fly") by the Republicans. The Finnish nickname for I-16 was Siipiorava ("Flying Squirrel").

I-16_Mosca_001_a.jpg

Hope you'll watch. Cheers, Christian B)

No I have not . Won't happen till tuesday/Wednesday :vmad

Pleasant in the evenings though and I got several fans blasting away :woohoo:

Cheers, Christian B)

Not much got done this last week since the A/C was out of commision :vmad but now the air is back on :)

So, a base coat of black Mr surfacer ( love that stuff ) followed with some custom gray/blue.

I-26_cockpit_001a.jpg

Then, some shadows with Vallejo wash .

Cheers, Christian B)

Thanks Dave . Finally got the other paint detail sprayed on the KI-27 , so I hope to get some work done on this one tomorrow :)

Cheers, Christian B)

Thanks Gerry, Luiz, Bob , Mike, Ian . for showing an interest in this little oddity . :hmmm

Sorry for not posting sooner but it's been sort of busy here plus I did not come back ready to hit the runway running.

I did get some time over the last few day to do some figuring on this kit.

Eduard make some nice looking kits but the idea that their product is suppose to fit together when they sell it to the customer continues to elude them :smack

My first problem came when I realised that the floor/seat assy has to get pushed back inside the oddly shaped fuselage that you can't keep still to work on .

There are no locator tabs or any marks to aid you in figuring this out either

I-16_cockpit_007a.jpg

So, one by one I started adding positive stops so it could be located in the correct place during assembly.

I-16_cockpit_009a.jpg

As you can see, with the lower wing mounted, it looks like it's in a tunnel

I-16_cockpit_010a.jpg

Anyhow, that being squared away the PE was installed and painted.

I soon realised that their mounting point on the lever assemblies was totally wrong and had to be moved up 1/4 in to be above the floor where it belongs :blink

I_16_cockpit_001a.jpg

The other side had no problem but I decided to add the two control rods that belong there.

I_16_cockpit_002a.jpg

Next, I built up their IP which is not that much like a real one but it's nice and it fits :good:

I-16_IP_002a.jpg

I then cut out the ports for the windows that provide daylight to the Instrument panel. I also made and installed some doublers.

I-16_IP_003a.jpg

Tomorrow I'll try to get the seat harness on so we can finish this assembly.

Thanks for looking. Cheers, Christian B)

Back