• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

HMS Nancy War of 1812 Canadian Schooner.

TIP! cleaning the copper wire with lacquer thinner and lightly sanding it helps with paint and glue adhesion!
Thanks Men! :vgood:

20220618_085037.jpg20220618_091556.jpg20220618_145259.jpg
Black Invisible Thread and a bit of treated coffee filter. Carefully dab on minuscule amounts of c/a glue. I advise a silicon gluing mat so you can peel your rigging line and sail off after the c/a glue sets. Moisten your new headsail and lay it over a curved surface to dry. Trim to fit. Simple right!?
SURE! I had a grand, single headsail made up for Antelope. The headsail worked so well, the downdraft from the ceiling fan blew it off my desk into oblivion.

Oh the joys of sailing ship modeling! As it is, 2 similarly sized headsails will grace the Antelope sloop in the fullness of time.
Thanks again for looking in!!

It always happens, lose a freshly made sail, lose it, make another, the original appears.
Great work Chris.

It always happens, lose a freshly made sail, lose it, make another, the original appears.
Great work Chris.
That's how it happens with errant watch parts all the time. Spend an hour looking or just grab another part from the parts drawer and the missing part magically appears by the end of the day.

20220702_103600.jpg
Teresa poured 2 of these dandy resin bases for small ship models.
20220702_103607.jpg
The idea is to allow the ocean blue resin to cure, sand the edges to fit inside the top of the clear boxes I found, and then..............
20220702_103926.jpg
The Antelope sloop isn't done yet, but you get the idea. She should fit nicely onto the base, into the box top and be free from spider web rigging assistance and dust.
The catch is the pliable clear resin is really vinyl-ie and stayed flexible. Perhaps it will cure out and stiffen up in time. :hmm:

I have some clear resin I used for a couple of things. The set up time was long and it took quite a while (week or 2) to fully harden. On the positive side the air bubbles almost all voided out of the entire casting with only a few up in the plug.

Saturday was "Blow-Boat Day"!
20220730_140449.jpg20220730_141351.jpg20220730_143106.jpg20220730_145609.jpg20220730_152444.jpg
May I introduce you to the Egyptian 1/700 Felucca "Tizarrati". It means "Fart" in the Egyptian Arabic feminine case. That's what the script on the mainsail says. She's slightly faster than the Speed of Smell. "Wind" maybe?! My Arabic vocabulary is limited to "Tizarrati". :lol:
Sharpie fine markers do not bleed on the gelatin soaked sail material.
She's a resin casting of a resin 3D printed Master. This was the warm-up for the next sailing vessel.

20220730_162754.jpg20220730_173111.jpg20220730_175824.jpg
"I'm a broken man on a Halifax pier. The last of Barrett's Privateers." The 1/700 waterline Antelope sloop of Stan Rogers song fame.

It is true she has no list to port. Her sails aren't truly ragged. Lots of standing and running rigging could be added to Her.
She could use catheads and anchors. Her guns are too big. "Goddamn them all!"
Her War of 1812 Canadian flag decal hasn't been printed yet.
A wise Man will install his cannon before his mast and ratlines. I didn't and had quite a tiny tussle with the guns.
The running rigging you can see is Invisible:bm: Thread It is ridiculously overscale.

I had a really good time doing just as I pleased, so far, since Antelope is a fictional sloop. There is still some fine tuning left to do, but the basic Sail/Boom-Yard/line-rig technique seems sound. Taping the line on top of plastic lid, sliding the edge of the sail under it and carefully dabbing on thin c/a glue seems a fine method.

C/A glue bonds to my silicone gluing pad. It does not adhere to a Pringle's lid.

This one is for Garnet Rogers. Stan's little brother. I bought his book about their adventures before Stan died in an airline mishap in 1983.

The 1864 US Revenue Cutter Caleb Cushing, from the 1/700 CSS Raiders Set is next! By the time I get to CSS Florida the sail technique should be properly refined.

Thanks again for looking in!
:oldguy:
:skipper:
:salute:

Sweet I almost took that for a pic of a real one! Beautifully done!
It IS a real picture!
TLAR Models is now and always has been about minimizing expenses to keep my kits affordable for the advanced ship model maker.
20220804_173326 (2).jpg
Here's my cheesy photo booth! Notice the Sharklight? It ain't rocket science! Anybody can do the stuff I do!

I offered up the 1/700 Fart Felucca as a gift on the last Mile High Model Ship Club Zoom meeting. She isn't my intellectual property, so I can't sell her.
Of all people, Hugh Letterly asked me for a couple. Hubert, whom has been so kind and generous to me as a model builder and kit maker.
Here's what I decided to do.
20220807_210421.jpg20220807_213959.jpg20220807_214019.jpg20220807_214229.jpg
George piped up and asked for a Fart Felucca too. Since I had 3 hulls on hand................
("Fart Felucca"? Mine is the only one that says "Fart" on it.) :bm::lol:
20220807_224018.jpg
George's mainsail says "Abi" in Egyptian Arabic. It means Daddy. George really took me under his wing after my Dad was killed in a peach tree mishap. He said he would be paying me for this model. "No Dad, It's on the Wheel. Do a model favor for someone else, if you please."

Now, I don't want you men to think I am studying Egyptian Arabic. I also don't want you to believe the skippers of these Nile river workhorses paint names on their sails. I am certain they a much to busy for such things. Hundreds of these little vessels have plied the Nile river for centuries.
Yes, I wrote the Arabic language squiggles right-to-left, as is appropriate. My penmanship is questionable to be sure.

Now, I COULD sell the masts and sails, couldn't I?! :hmm:
Sure. Like I thought I could ever sell Cap-Holder-O-Matics! :silly:
Thanks again for looking in!

Back