• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

HMS Nancy War of 1812 Canadian Schooner.

Blown........away...................
i77fbD.gif

20220415_163732.jpg

Teresa made the cool ocean-ish resin base. I bought some clear plastic boxes to transport and store the sailing ships in. I hope to use the lids as bases and the boxes as covers. She's pretty sure she can make a blue base that fits the box top a little better. No dust or spiderwebs for the Antelope! The Wind Breaker and Nancy schooners will get similar housing!
1650130786761.png
:vgood:

During the course of mold making, sometimes I mix a little too much RTV. Since nothing ever goes to waste here, these leftover bits make dandy pads for gluing small plastic parts together. Styrene and MEK do not stick to the silicone rubber pad.
The color makes it easy to find and contrasts with almost every color of plastic/resin.

20220416_075623.jpg

/:lol:You're in fine form today, Mr. 'Pup!
Here at TLAR Models, we EMPTY bottles and FILL molds! :drunks: :drink:yipee::rimshot
20220417_094827.jpg
20220417_095803.jpg

Here's little peek at what "Manufacturing" actually looks like.
Nancy and Antelope will go to market as a set of War of 1812 Canadian Warships.
The 2/3rds size Baby Bluenose/ Wind Breaker schooner could be built as a working1920's fishing boat, a swift Privateer or a luxury yacht.

The Bluenose & Cleopatra schooner set, with modern boats for Cleo is still underway.

20220504_195022.jpg
20220504_200944.jpg

First Mainsail attempt. Not exactly what I wished for. In truth, this looks like hammered dogshit!
20220504_204744.jpg
20220504_210515.jpg
20220504_212644.jpg

Second attempt: It's been a long time since I did Dynamic Geometry in my head. Dampen the gelatin treated coffee filter, lay it over a curved surface, tack it to mast & boom gently.
BETTER! only 6 more sails to go on the Antelope sloop!
Thanks again for looking in!

You going to try those seam lines and the little dingy things that hands from the sails?
:lol::lol::lol: YGBSM! Many of the pictures posted here are also included in the kit instructions. It will be up to the Modeler to add leech lines and tack seams to the sails. I don't want to overwhelm the fledgling waterline sailing ship modeler. (You know, Like ME!) with too much complexity right off the bat. If you must learn more about sails, here's a dandy article::good:

Nobody here will criticize any lack of proper nomenclature.

In other Sailing Ship news, John Paul Jones' 44-gun Frigate, USS Bonhomme Richard, may well be rendered in 1/700 scale by a partner laboratory in the Crosby Texas area. In spite of the TLAR CEO's resistance to use more modern, less familiar technologies, The JPJ project is underway. The STL file looks promising! "I have not yet begun to MODEL!!"

:capsmiley:
:salute:

20220507_103117.jpg

Another picture of the Antelope.
20220520_164014.jpg
20220520_164029.jpg

The fun continues! Stan Rogers tells us the Antelope sloop carried "cracked 4-pounders" and I did make some and cast them too.
Without consulting The Board of directors, I made the decision to include 3D printed 9 pound cannons in both the Antelope and HMS Nancy TLAR Models kits. My version of Stan's imaginary privateer Sloop has the capacity to carry 10 cannon. How many guns will you choose? Resin cracked 4 pound or cool-looking 9 pound guns? You get both. Decisions, decisions........................
1653085423815.png

There aren't actual gun ports for them on the model, but 2 chaser guns could be mounted in the bow as well. Time will tell if the windlass interferes the the bigger cannon. Sorry Stan, Sir! I got a teensy bit carried away with your privateer Sloop. :facepalm:

You could put the entire Spanish Fleet in your bathtub. But don't pull the plug, the vortex will suck every last one down the drain. Kind of like what happened back then.

I would comment that none of my waterline resin ship models are the teeniest bit buoyant. They go directly to Davy Jones Locker without so much as a "By your Leave".:lol::lol:

20220604_102513.jpg20220604_103306.jpg
I chose to paint the 9-pound guns. Mostly to make them easier to keep track of. Tamiya semi-gloss black is the cannon paint of the Day.
It turns out the guns do not interfere with the windlass, so yes Bob! Your Antelope Privateer could carry 10 big guns! And not much else!

20220604_141315.jpg
20220604_144342.jpg

Careful drilling and carving of gun ports, test fit of cannon. Voila! Antelope has her teeth!
how many 9-pounders will YOUR Antelope privateer be armed with?
A few more hull details to finish and the mast and ratlines can be installed.
"How I wish I was in Sherbrooke now!"

Back