• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

HMS Nancy War of 1812 Canadian Schooner.

Rhino

Super Moderator
Do I have to make every sailing vessel Stan Rogers wrote or sang a song about? Only if the story is really COOL!
Do I always have to take on the most obscure of projects with the teeniest amount of reference material? :bang head
(It's starting to look that way! :silly:)
Will these castings have excellent detail to be proud of? They will!
Am I Canadian? No. No I am not. Do I enjoy the minutia of Naval History? Yes. Yes I do.
As a businessman, do I expect such a project to produce a shit-ton of revenue? Probably not. Still..............

I welcome my Modeler's Alliance brethren to another inexorably long and time consuming thread!

With so many sailing vessels in the Confederate Raiders thread I thought I would split the Canadian vessels off on their own.
Bluenose and progress on the fictitious Antelope sloop will also be found here. (In the fullness of Time.)
Nancy Schooner 4.jpg20210918_181016.jpg
I began with an 80-footer that had too much sweep to her main deck. (Like a friggin' BANANA!) I thought it less time consuming to make a second Schooner master than to fix my original. Then I fixed the original one anyway. :drunks: :drink
I will confess that spiced Rum and diet Sam's soda played a part in these efforts.
The scale wood deck went on without a hitch and looks dandy! I use the scrap wood decking to make scale T-piers and docks. Very little goes to waste at TLAR Models. This is Set number 921. (Month and year of "conception") For the collectors in our merry band, there is NO TLAR Models set #1. :stinker::lol:

20210919_194236.jpg
One looks more Schooner-ish. One looks more like a Sloop of War. 2 different techniques for installing the main deck rails. The helm, fittings and rigging will decide which sort of vessel they evolve into. The left hand hull looks more like HMS Nancy did.

Thanks for looking in!

Chris this is awesome! I love your inexorably long and time consuming Threads! Always a thrill to see these tiny ships!

20210925_115830.jpg20210925_115845.jpg
Quarterdeck rail and after hull profile aren't quite correct. The bow profile is pleasing to my eye. "Do Over" as you all can easily see, is a common place occurrence on TLAR Models masters. :bm:
I've got an idea.......
Thanks for looking in!

It all began back in 1860...........
No Wait! Wrong model! :facepalm:
20210926_102352.jpg
A pretty decent sail plan was found for the Nancy schooner. It even had a scale on it. Stepping off cannon port and mast placement with my trusty dividers. Cannon ports will be framed inside the railing. Not too many deck details populate the main deck. Hull shaping continues.
Thanks for looking in!

20211003_173644.jpg
The inside rail details and gun port frames are finished. The hull exterior is smoothed out, with Nancy's stern in the proper (?!?) profile and outside hull rail is on.
Once the top railing caps are on I can start adding main deck details and bowsprit. Not too bad for Lasagna Pajama Perfect Sunday!
Thanks for looking in!
:drunks: :drink
:oldguy:
:skipper:

20211005_205709.jpg20211007_194955.jpg
I study my references to make sure Nancy's deck details are accurate. Hatch #1 was too long. Hatch #2 looks about right. Hatce frame work is .010 plastic strip. 7 scale inches seems appropriate. I ordered a book from Toronto to be sure. Main deck rail tops have been rounded to shape. The forward access hatch to the crew's quarters seems a little to big. I am unsure how much smaller it can get.:bm: Quarterdeck skylight, binnacle and tiller post next! Main deck rail tops have been rounded to shape. I want as many fittings on the master as I can make, so the finished model schooner casting will be less fiddly and more fun to build.
A man shouldn't have to be a genius to enjoy a TLAR model.
Thanks for looking in!

Last edited:
20211016_104214.jpg20211016_114332.jpg
Weeks of gluing tiny bits of plastic up, shaping, sanding (finding little parts I drop) seeking better reference pictures, and measuring have finally paid a visible dividend! The smallest plastic part is the skylight for the captain's cabin for Nancy. The other 2 are skylight parts for CSS Florida, sans P/E winders. I fixed all the teensy plastic parts to the clear-coated deck with (shameless plug here!) Gator Glue. :good:

References suggest there is another hatch grating on Nancy to starboard of the forward crew hatchway. I cain't tell if there is another on the portside or not. There seem to be no winch or capstan on the main deck, suggesting the crew used old fashioned muscle-power to hoist sails and launch their ship's cutter. I bought a copy of "Through Water, Fire and Ice. The Schooner Nancy in the War of 1812" from Military Antiques in Toronto, Ontario. The really cool book didn't include any deck plan for the ship. I asked the guys in Toronto if the knew of such a thing in all of Canadia. I figure if anyone knows, Canadians would, Right?!
I await their response.

Thanks for looking in again, eh!
:oldguy::drunksailor:

Warren Joyce gets credit for his help the next Stan Rogers song model project.
Cape Islander 45 1.jpgCape Islander 45 2.jpg
I asked about Cape Islander fishing boats. Since Warren makes his home in Nova Scotia, I hoped he might have a geographical advantage on a subject such as this. Warren sent me a linkie to an R/C model boat forum. One of the contributors is the son of a Nova Scotia Lobster boat skipper named Greg Hiltz. He now resides in New Brunswick. Greg sells scale plans for "The kindly Cape Islander, old, but still sound." of Stan Rogers fame. They are copies of the drawings for a 44' 11" Cape Island variant named "Poorboy", home-ported at Deer Island, New Brunswick, Canada in the 1960's
Mine will be a smidge smaller.
The price of Greg's plans seemed reasonable. Said plans are on the way!
Stan was 'Home-ported" in Nova Scotia originally. This wraps up the vessels in his songs.
UNLESS I try to make an model of the wreck of the Athens Queen on Ripper Rock!
Thanks again for looking in!

Last edited:
Warren Joyce gets credit for his help the next Stan Rogers song model project.
View attachment 143270View attachment 143271
I asked about Cape Islander fishing boats. Since Warren makes his home in Nova Scotia, I hoped he might have a geographical advantage on a subject such as this. Warren sent me a linkie to an R/C model boat forum. One of the contributors is the son of a Nova Scotia Lobster boat skipper named Greg Hiltz. He now resides in New Brunswick. Greg sells scale plans for "The kindly Cape Islander, old, but still sound." of Stan Rogers fame. They are copies of the drawings for a 44' 11" Cape Island variant named "Poorboy", home-ported at Deer Island, New Brunswick, Canada in the 1960's
Mine will be a smidge smaller.
The price of Greg's plans seemed reasonable. Said plans are on the way!
Stan was 'Home-ported" in Nova Scotia originally. This wraps up the vessels in his songs.
UNLESS I try to make an model of the wreck of the Athens Queen on Ripper Rock!
Thanks again for looking in!

Glad I could help Chris and that you were able to get some plans. The one in the pics is what I mostly think of as a Cape Islander, the ones they build now are almost as wide as they are long!

Are you still considering the Antelope too?? Not sure what you could do for that one!

:vgood:

Back