• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

HMS Nancy War of 1812 Canadian Schooner.

20220219_092357.jpg

Guess what?! I looked at the PLANS! The second attempt will have the flared prow and continuous railing that typifies the Cape Island boat. The first version got her dinky hatches up forward today, so she's ready to mold.
I dug up another existing chunk of otherwise non-essential resin and started shaping.

In other Canadian waterline boat news:
20220220_155206.jpg

The generous stern of the Antelope sloop was begging for salon windows. I lacked the ability to ignore her.

Thanks again for looking in!
:salute:
:oldguy:
1645403345192.png
20220219_092346.jpg

20220226_092740.jpg
20220226_094059.jpg
20220226_092321.jpg

The Cape Islander master I made from the plans I bought is ready to mold. At just a hair over 12 scale meters O/A, she's bigger than Stan's "Jeannie C." but a pretty decent representation of what I hoped for in my favorite scale. She should mold and cast nicely! :dance:
Radar, masts and exhaust stack will make her an interesting little lobster boat model.
Thanks to Warren for his advice and input and to Greg's Model Boat yard in New Brunswick, Canada for getting said plans to me in good order. :yipee:
One more Stan Rogers master to complete.
20220224_195625.jpg

I'm working on Barrett's Antelope sloop windlass, helm and finishing off her bow. After that, Heaven alone knows what else?
1645900040840.png

1645900040840.png

20220311_000831.jpg
Barrett's Antelope Sloop Master. Gun hatches added and bowsprit finished. It was a lot of fun to master a vessel Stan Rogers imagined! I hope She is pretty close! Antelope should mold and cast well. "Now I'm a broken Man on a Halifax pier, the last of Barrett's Privateers!" Thanks Stan!
1646981230485.png
:drunks: :drink:drool:

20220322_174845.jpg

Shake-down test of the new (?!) paint pressure pot. After a good cleaning, I hope she holds 60 psi for 2 hours with the original stiff gasket. :bm:

There's a shiny, new gasket on the way, just for good measure.

20220322_173124.jpg

7 molds will be poured tonight one way or another!

Thanks Jeff! :notworthy
I must create. It's how I "vacation my bwain" after work. That desire may well be a SERIOUS mental malady. Few of us are without our own mental maladies, don't you agree?
There are subjects I wish for. I get tired of wishing. I would make just one model and finish it, but then what if somebody else asks for one?
I truly enjoy all the improvisation, measuring, shaping and fitting to make a new Master "Just So",

The paint pot has held 59 PSI for 3 hours now. The RTV molds cure completely in 24 hours. The castings that follow will tell the tale about how well I made the Masters!

We will pour the 1/700 waterline Titanic Iceberg in clear resin with chrome color in it. That should be really cool! Watch and see!

In truth, Teresa took the lead on the Titanic iceberg and cast it is super-sparkly clear resin!
Resized952022032395133127.jpg

She's also casting ocean-ish looking bases for small ship model display from colored clear resin. Both pressure pots are charged up tonight! The clear/colored resin has a 24 hour cure.
20220323_165413.jpg

New molds deserve fresh Smooth-on liquid plastic! 50ml cast all the freshest molds, plus a brand new Universal Hull hull, and the Tiki-Bar II
I will know the results after de-molding in about 15 more minutes!!

Stay Tuned Micro (fo'Weel!) Model Maniacs! TLAR Production is smokin' along tonight!!:lol:

20220323_194027.jpg

From left to right, front to back, find superb castings of The Windbreaker schooner hull, HMS Nancy, the Antelope sloop, Maine and Cape Islander lobster boats with mast top platforms for CSS's Alabama and Florida, 1/350 Shrimp boat deckhouse, 2-window skylight, a bevy of 1/350 oil drums, Deck hatch grating, Deckhouse with skylight, Shrimp boat winch, skylight and Zodiac boat.
1/72 F4U-2 radar pod (for the Moonbat project) and exhausts, 1/700 Tiki-bar II deck and storage house. 2 36-foot trawlers, one with a separate aft trawl mast, A perfect casting of the Universal Hull full-hull, Tiki-bar II "Pleasure house", and Tiki-bar III deck, bar and roof.
All these light gray polyurethane castings are as near perfect as I can make. I feel satisfied!!
:doh:
:Drinks:
:yipee:

20220324_202403.jpg

Barrett's Antelope sloop trial fit of her mast, boom and bowsprit. She will carry lots of sail. She would have been fast. Very fast if skillfully handled! :skipper:
20220325_012354.jpg

This is our boat. "Wind Breaker", a schooner. If the hull plan looks familiar it should. She's built on the same lines as Bluenose. She's 90 feet overall. Bluenose is longer by 60 feet. The bridge roof is a separate part just in case you want to detail the bridge and salon. Ratlines, booms, sails, davits, dingy and recoilless rifles coming up! Oh! Paint and stuff too!
This smaller schooner hull could also be built as a working vessel with the parts in the kit.
Our schooner is for languorous, luxurious Caribbean travel. :coolio2::hummm::Drinks:

20220409_111842.jpg

The Antelope sloop gets her hull painted. The external hull details will be picked out in brass. Her mast and bowsprit boom are ready for sails. Contrary to the lyrics of Stan Rogers' song, Antelope will be trim, swift and tidy. The real fun of sailing ship model building is about to begin!
20220404_202351.jpg

The Nancy Schooner, second from the bottom, base-coated in Testor's enamel Wood Tan as well.

1649542290477.png

Back