• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

HMS Nancy War of 1812 Canadian Schooner.

Next installment in the Sail line here. 58-foot, sloop-rigged yacht. Paint the hull, paint the mast, boom and auto-furler silver, glue it up and think up your own name! Make something the wife will love!
Mains'l and Genoa included. If you want to make a spinnaker, I wish you every happiness!
20220901_154156.jpg20220901_154448.jpg20220901_143001.jpg
"Blow Boat"?
"Horizon Seeker"?
"Neptune's voicemail"?
"Mini Pearl"?
"Unhurried"?
"Pier Pressure"?
"Second Mortgage"?
"Gypsy Queen"?
"USVI Vagabond"?
You sea where I'm going with this? :lol:

20220904_124247.jpg20220904_130055.jpg
When I started the 1/700 Bluenose master I screwed the pooch and misread the deck plan drawing dimensions. Bluenose is 150' O/A. My little schooner model was only 90 scale feet long. Rum may have been involved in this mistake. Maybe. :drool:

So here I was, almost done with the hull master with DEAD wrong dimensions, but pretty decent detail and a lovely, swift profile. Embarking on yet another "do-over" to make the accurate Bluenose schooner, with the 90-footer's master on the desk gave me an idea. "Baby Bluenose"?

At TLAR Models almost nothing goes to waste, especially time and effort. I made the luxury deckhouse/cabin with a separate roof panel for the bridge. I also made regular fishing schooner parts. Cabin, hatches, skylights, 4-pound cannons and dories. Truth be told, I made quite a few. Not every Grand Banks schooner was as grand or as swift as Bluenose was. "2-in-1" kit?

So was born the schooner "Wind Breaker". In my seemingly endless imagination, this vessel is the sailboat my Sweetie and I will ply the Big Blue aboard. From the Florida keys to Dominica. From Panama City to the Polynesian Islands. From Sydney to Manila and back again. I did make the scale 105mm recoilless rifle with a brass gun barrel I went on about, to mount on Wind Breaker's foredeck in addition to her small arms. Not every other mariner is your friend.

Today, I put the roof on the bridge and got a start on her masts. They still need fine tuning, but the basic dimensions and rake of the masts are correct. the P/E ratlines should land on the masts just right! The Wind Breaker will have the same SA/D (sail area to displacement) ratio as the 1921 Bluenose did. She'll be speedy. Very fast in the hands of a skilled skipper.
Thanks again for looking in!

20220905_115926.jpg
You guys expected a boat named "Wind Breaker" to be brown. I know. :smack:
She'll be painted in a white over blue hull to help hide the length at Sea. Wood deck, masts, ratlines and booms. I'll clip off the casting stub after I mask and shoot the blue on the hull.

Blue sails. :hmm:
George wants a Spinnaker. :bm:
Oh, Wheels of Creativity? Time to get off your ass!

20220910_121644.jpg
I'm not quite sure about the blue sails. I have 3 headsails planned for Wind Breaker. I keep making them backwards. She's on the opposite tack from all my other sailboats. Whaddygonnado?

20220912_194748.jpg20220912_194823.jpg
Masts, booms, blue sails, ratlines and UHF radio antenna installed. I chose wood brown for masts and booms. Most of Wind Breaker is "old School schooner" so it seemed fitting. I put the UHF radio antenna & platform on the main mast, A little paint touch up is in order. Her davits and zodiac dingy are coming up shortly. What do you guys think of the blue sails? I dunno.
The SA/D is some less than her bigger sister Bluenose, but it is not too far off.

1663105833827.png
1663106513860.png

By an odd coincidence, Mr. Flynn did own a snazzy schooner. A 118-footer named ZACA. She was purchased from the US Navy in 1946 after having served as USS Zaca, IX-73. She was a plane guard rescue ship in the San Francisco bay area during World War II. Errol's beautiful boat was featured in the 1947 Orson Welles film "The Lady from Shanghai". Errol Flynn was the owner of the vessel until his death in 1959.

There was also a cool documentary made in 1952!

Disclaimer: I did not know this bit of nautical history out of hand. Wikipedia was my source.

I put a lot of thought and effort into The Wind Breaker. I appreciate all you guy's comments, support and looking in.
I'm considering making the dual Yacht/BB Bluenose working fishing vessel kit available as "Sail III" including P/E ratlines, prefabricated masts, booms and sails. Probably an optional top sail as well? A kit to make building a beautiful ship model easier and more fun! See?!

"The Canadians set" will include HMS Nancy, the Antelope sloop, the "kindly Cape Islander" lobster boat and the "Jeannie C" fishing boat. In honor of Stan Rogers and his musical influence on some old Nut that makes model ships & boats.

Bluenose/Cleopatra will stand on her own once the kit enters production.

I hope no one imagines I an any kind of expert. I love the sea and the vessels that sail upon her.
Thanks again, Friends!

I knew he owned a really nice boat, didn't Capt Ron end up with it??

I read that during the filming of Mutiny on the Bounty (1935) Jimmy Cagney sailed up to the Bounty to see what was going on and he got himself a cameo as one of the mutinous sailors, you can make out his shape but you don't see his face. Seems all those guys had nice sail boats back then.

dont know where I'm going with that, just causal trivia I guess.

:popcorn

I knew he owned a really nice boat, didn't Capt Ron end up with it??

I read that during the filming of Mutiny on the Bounty (1935) Jimmy Cagney sailed up to the Bounty to see what was going on and he got himself a cameo as one of the mutinous sailors, you can make out his shape but you don't see his face. Seems all those guys had nice sail boats back then.

dont know where I'm going with that, just causal trivia I guess.

:popcorn
Clark Gable's supposed "Wanderer" Ketch-rigged yacht was featured in Captain Ron. She was a Formosa 51. Clark enjoyed sailing with his friend, Allan Jones on his sailboat. I don't believe Clark Gable actually owned a boat named "Wanderer".

Humphrey Bogart owned a 55-foot schooner named "Santana". He said while under sail, he could clear his mind by being who is, rather than who he was pretending to be. Santana was a swift, beautiful boat! Bogart was a skilled skipper.

Elvis Presley purchased FDR's Presidential yacht, USS Potomac in 1964 for a whopping $55,000.00. He didn't own Potomac for very long. He donated Her to St. Judes on Valentines Day that same year.

USS Potomac is among my planned TLAR 1/700 projects as well as the Manitwoc-built USCG Cutter she was modified from.

The Ketch "Graceland" of movie fame is also a baloney movie story.

20220914_210114.jpg20220914_210012.jpg20220914_183706.jpg20220914_183440.jpg20220914_185633.jpg
TLAR Models limited edition Sail III kit was listed on Hobby Swap tonight. The sails improve every time I womp them up. It takes hours to make up the sails, masts and booms.
20220914_181922.jpg
Here is how the Grand Banks cod schooner may lay out. Unless you ditch the Dories and mount all 6 of the 4-pound cannons!

20221019_020148.jpg20221019_004406.jpg
I have been following Tim's amazing USS Constitution thread with great interest and admiration. This is an attempt at Nancy's main mast trestle. It seems chunky and over scale. :bm:A do-over made from .010 plastic and copper rod may look more to scale. then two, I don't want such a thing to be so tiny and complex as to be impossible for the customers to build themselves.

4 of Nancy's gunports are drilled out, with one cannon mounted to make sure the 3D printed guns fit. a P/E figurehead of the original Nancy will adorn the bow. I resist adding details to the main deck that improve the ship, that aren't included in the kit. :bash:

Tim also inspired me to do-over the undersides of my fighting top Masters for larger (?!?) warships. These do nicely for CSS Alabama and CSSFlorida. HMS Surprise and USS Bonnie Dick perhaps, as well.

20221015_120008 (2).jpg
These dinky Canadian flags should cover the modern and War of 1812 vessels. I made a sailing Dory with a 'one-lunger" motor to add to the Stan Rogers-inspired Canadian ship model set.
Thanks again for looking in!
1666448792946.png
:skipper::salute:1666448792946.png

Chris you state that you don't want your parts to be too small for customers to handle. Think about this; they are building 1/700 scale small ships. I think the subject matter alone means they can probably handle whatever you create for them.

Git-R-Done!
Confederate emoji.png

"It's a model, right? They have to put it together." My Sweetie seems to agree.
HMS Nancy played a huge role in the 1812 battles for the Great Lakes and is revered as a part of Canada's Maritime heritage.
No goofing off, like I did with Stan's imaginary Antelope sloop.

Back