• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Heller/Airfix 1/72 scale Bf 109K-4 now FINISHED!

matrixone

Here is my Bf 109K-4 built from the Airfix Special Edition boxing I bought years ago. One problem I had with this kit was the pilots head armor was missing and I was forced to finish my model without it. Otherwise the kit was easy to put together.
My model was painted with Model Master enamel paints and the camo pattern was airbrushed free handed, only the fin/rudder and RVD band required masking.
I chose to mark my K-4 as a machine operated by JG 27 and used decals from an old EagleCals sheet and my spares box. This aircraft ''white 10'' was an early production K-4 and nearly made it to the end of the war, there are a couple photographs of this aircraft in the JaPo camo & markings book and it looks like it was heavily used and had been forced to make wheels up landing judging by the bent propeller blades.

404573823.jpg

404573822.jpg

404573821.jpg

404573819.jpg

404573817.jpg

404573816.jpg

404573815.jpg

404573814.jpg

Matrixone

Thats a fantastic paint job. Really like it. I have a couple K4's in the stash and I think this scheme would be cool to do. Thanks for posting that up.
James

Thanks to all for the comments! :)

This old kit with its soft detail and raised panel lines was not easy to get effective weathering put on it and this is part of the reason I chose to put it in the markings of ''white 10'', this K-4 looked like it has a very long and active service life and was quite dirty at the time it was photographed by U.S. troops...the heavy exhaust stains and dirt on the sides of the fuselage was easy to do even on such an old kit.

My other new finished model is quite a bit better than this one, pics should be posted in a day or two.

Matrixone

Just fantastic, Les. If ever anybody needed proof that there's life in these old kits.... (y)

Ian

Thanks Ian!

Speaking of old kits I have started another older kit, this time its the limited run MPM 1/72 scale Reppu. Lots of problems with this one. :S

Matrixone

Great job Les!!! :drinks After these older kits you can relax with the new 1/32 Revell Bf-109G6 (1st Quarter 2013 maby :hmmm ).

All the best!
Dusan.

Thank you Dusan!

Ian,
The MPM kit of the Reppu I am building might have been one of the last produced from those molds, there are some large chunks of plastic on some of the parts that needed to be carved off which would suggest the molds were starting to fall apart, so I am not sure how well this one will turn out. :idonno But its still fun to work on anyway, I learned to never give up on a model no matter how bad it starts out.

Matrixone

Jurassic plastic! I built the old Heller edition in childhood's happy hour- yours looks substantially better, Les. ;)

Thanks chuk!
This old kit has stood the test of time quite well. I hope Tamiya or Eduard will make a kit of this aircraft, a replacement for the Heller/Airfix Bf 109K is long overdue.

Matrixone

Than you Mikkel!

My next 109 will be 1/48 scale and should be a little better quality...not yet sure which brand of kit I will choose, either Hobbycraft or Hasegawa.

Matrixone

Back