• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

End of an Era - RAN A-4G Skyhawk

helios

The A-4 was the end of the line for carrier-borne fixed wing aircraft for Australia. Operations of the HMAS Melbourne ceased in 1982, with the surviving aircraft being sold to New Zealand to supplement their A-4 fleet. This is one being build for an A-4 GB on another site. Hopefully should be finishing up in the next couple weeks as the deadline on this one is looming near.

The kit was picked up cheap, for only $10 at a hobby shop "yard sale". It had been previously started, and had some additional resin bits plus some odds and ends from other kits. I was however missing some pieces as well...including major components like the landing gear and refueling probe. So while I don't typically consider building 1/48 kits wheels up, I don't have much option this go around. A resin replacement refueling probe was sourced (thanks SB), and a set of markings acquired from Gekko Graphics (I'll be building a Euro1 scheme K off this sheet as well later). Pilot was sourced from my Monogram A-10 kit.

Earlier pics:
Box & sprues (sorta)

Included resin pit...no idea of the manufacturer.

Test fit...fiddling...test fit...fiddling...more test fit.

Pilot and his office.

Fuselage assembled. Intakes fitted, which took removing the "alignment pins" to get them to set on the fuselage where I wanted them. Raised details were also removed from the side of the intakes that were not prominent in the pics that I had been looking at. Lips were test fitted to see if I can install them later, check was good. This was an area several others were having issues with, and required some sanding and filler to get alignment between the lip and intakes. I was lucky, and will be able to fit them later preserving a nice clean paint seam.

I've since gotten a few other bits added on, but haven't taken any pictures yet. Just little bits like flare blanks, stab cap, and the like.

Fuselage assembled. Intakes fitted, which took removing the "alignment pins" to get them to set on the fuselage where I wanted them. Raised details were also removed from the side of the intakes that were not prominent in the pics that I had been looking at. Lips were test fitted to see if I can install them later, check was good. This was an area several others were having issues with, and required some sanding and filler to get alignment between the lip and intakes. I was lucky, and will be able to fit them later preserving a nice clean paint seam.

I've since gotten a few other bits added on, but haven't taken any pictures yet. Just little bits like flare blanks, stab cap, and the like.

Nice build. We flew A4-D-2's off ESSEX in the 60's for ASW defense. They were the first jets to function as part of an ASW killer force in 1961, giving us the unusual status as the only CVAS in either fleet. One group was a Marine Squadron that was formed in 1963 for the sole purpose of deployment aboard ESSEX for the Midlink Cruise. It was Sub Unit 1 H&MS 32 MAG 32.
Those little crotch rockets were very versatile.

10 bucks aint bad for a Hase kit.....wheels up or not. This is lookin' really good so far helios.
Truth. 1/48 Hase E/F are going for an exorbitant amount of late. They are re-releasing the M this summer, but unfortunately it sounds like it's not easily backdatable out of the box. Fortunately I've got a couple Eduard boxings squirreled away that I got on sale (50% off) a while back for the future F (USN VA-22) & K (RNZAF) builds.

Truth. 1/48 Hase E/F are going for an exorbitant amount of late. They are re-releasing the M this summer, but unfortunately it sounds like it's not easily backdatable out of the box. Fortunately I've got a couple Eduard boxings squirreled away that I got on sale (50% off) a while back for the future F (USN VA-22) & K (RNZAF) builds.
Now there you go!! That's what I'm talkin' about.

Got the gun fairings installed along w/ the misc antenna & pitot. A bit of filler was applied around the gun fairings. Shot the base paint for interior color on the canopy. Primer in the morning...then we'll see how much more clean up work is required. On the plus side, I also found the tail hook, so I won't have to scratch build one of those.

Very nice project Chris. I do have one on stash (of course 1/72) but I intend to build it as the Brazlian Navy Skyhawk - still in use although the aircraft carrier has been scrapped!

Looking forward to your finish.

Cheers

Alex

Lookin' swell so far. Glad you found that tail hook. (y)
Yeah, it was on the same sprue as the landing gear bits I thought was missing. The sprue got mixed in with the OV-1B sprues...so turns out I didn't have to build it wheels up. :bash:

Oh well, too late now. Onward and upward.

And I also just realized I forgot to install a grab handle for the bang seat...so I'll have to try to pop the canopy off w/o cracking it to correct that oversight. At least I caught it before paint...I guess. :smack:

It's going to be time for a bench cleaning after I get these 3 off the plate. Starting to get a bit too much clutter going on.

Yeah, it was on the same sprue as the landing gear bits I thought was missing. The sprue got mixed in with the OV-1B sprues...so turns out I didn't have to build it wheels up. :bash:

Oh well, too late now. Onward and upward.

And I also just realized I forgot to install a grab handle for the bang seat...so I'll have to try to pop the canopy off w/o cracking it to correct that oversight. At least I caught it before paint...I guess. :smack:
Better late than never ya know.
6LnXAP.gif

Ok, I was able to get the canopy off w/o any collateral damage and installed a grab handle. Most probably wouldn't have noticed it missing...but it'd bug the crap out of me every time I looked at it if I had left it once I realized I missed it.

All primed. I'm happy enough w/ the seam/gaps so I'm calling her ready for camo this weekend. I'll get the canopy re-installed tonight so it's got plenty of time to cure up.

Man that's lookin great Chris! I hear you on little tid bits bugging the crap out of you. Sometimes it's a real risk going back in and correcting even minor things but it's all worth it. Looking forward to some paint flyin' on this puppy.

Nice detail to have in there. most would not have noticed it missing but they will notice it being there. :vgood:

Getting the pre-funk on. I'll have to be careful not to go to light on the topcoats, as the schemes were applied late in their career and from what I can tell from pictures they were kept quite clean. The semi-gloss finish I'm sure helps lend to that unlike the USN's TPS paints.

Fitting random album selection courtesy of Discogs. :coolio2:

Back