• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Heller 1:8 Laverda SFC750

paddy

DSC_2895.JPG
DSC_2897.JPG

Huge box... not sure it needed it :)

I have held off doing a build blog here as i didn't know till now if i would be able to get a front tyre for this model.
The one supplied in this re-issue from 2012 (original kit 1972) was too big to fit the rim
i now have a replacement from Heller FOC so top marks to them given the kit has been out of production for nearly 10 years.

There are three sprues of chrome parts here. To the best of my knowledge the SFC had no chrome at all. I think this is because they have utilised a lot of parts from the touring model the SF released at the same time.
So a lot of chrome stripping todo but after my Bentley build i have this sorted

I started with the wheels and the usual swap from plastic to metal spokes.. Original plastic are 1mm so scaled up would be 8mm, 4mm would be correct so i have used 0.5mm piano wire.
the wheels come in to halves so basically i build one side at a time using the other side as a jig to hold the rim and hub in the correct position.
DSC_2907.JPG

DSC_2920.JPG

DSC_2922.JPG

DSC_2935.JPG

DSC_2964.JPG

DSC_2966.JPG

I will skip over this as i have covered it in "what's on the bench"

Fork legs are pretty basic with moulded nuts and a few missing details
DSC_2970.JPG

DSC_2981.JPG

fork legs now split at the bottom, pinch bolts added as well as oil drain screws
DSC_2997.JPG

The frame on these competition Laverda's were either nickel or cadmium plate rather than silver paint like the road going version so i used gloss black primer from and Alclad ,Aluminium Alclad with a satin coat on top to stabilize the Alclad.

DSC_2998.JPG
DSC_3004.JPG

its given it that plated look i wanted rather than a metallic finish paint

I think i need an engine :)

DSC_3010.JPG

Its a strange kit this, its from 1972 so 50 years old but the detail, compared with the Airfix Bentley i recently completed is way ahead. That said some parts fit and the instructions leave quite a lot to be desired. there are very few location points so part have to be stuck on where a locator pin or two would really help. The springs for the rear are just lengths of wire and they give you a plastic rod to wind the wire round to make your own. There could be a lot of detail in the battery area under the seat but the side panels are not removeable so nothing would be seen which is a shame, i have looked at making them removable but again there is no location points for them so they sort od float in mid air so need to be firmly fixed i think.

anyway its fun so cant complain, We do need an engine though before we take it for a spin :)

So far so good Paddy! The color and finish for the orange is very well done. Looking forward to seeing what you do with the engine.

THAT................is frickin' crazy!!!! The result is magnificent but man.....that's alot of parts right there.

This the rear brake cable and levers as the kit supplies. a bit out of focus but everything black is rubber

DSC_3029.JPG

Its ok but its nit right, it should have an inner and outer cable and an adjuster

DSC_3031.JPG

i tried drilling a hole in a 12BA brass screw and fitting abit of wire as ysed for the spokes so 0.5mm piano wire... but its to big

so i did the same thing with a 14BA screw

DSC_3033.JPG

thats more like it

DSC_3036.JPG

Oh and the engine is getting there :)

DSC_3028.JPG

Back