• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

hawkenstein 2 finished

Re: hawkenstein 2 update 12/2

Looking good Joe! I love P-40s and your scratch building looks fine! No need for metal, just save your money for more kits!!!

I know its not in position yet but it does look like that engine is going to need to come up a little. I have no idea though! Not sure what the real engine looks like!

the engine is not in its final spot. it is/was glued in with school white glue. looking at it tonight i need to rethink a touch as the exhausts will not clear either the mount or the opening in the fuse at this moment. going to have to rethink this.

many thanks for the kind words.

saul if i ask pretty please.

joe

the engine is not in its final spot. it is/was glued in with school white glue. looking at it tonight i need to rethink a touch as the exhausts will not clear either the mount or the opening in the fuse at this moment. going to have to rethink this.

joe

If I recall correctly the prop shaft will end up in about the middle of the forward opening. Also, won't the engine be moved forward a bit more when it's raised ti its proper position? Those two changes might be enough to have the exhausts to clear the mount.

Good luck and cheers

RAFunderRepair.jpg

RAFunderRepair1.jpg

RAFunderRepair2.jpg

RAFunderRepair3.jpg

P-40CoolingSystem.jpg

P-40OilSystem.jpg

P-40Eengine.jpg

ok folks just a quick look at where we are with this.

i wanted to mock up the engine/firewall and the fuse just to see what it looked like and if i needed modifications to make it right.

preplumbing-15.jpg

i also wanted to mock up the oil tank as it will be seen thanks to my cuts.

preplumbing-14.jpg

havent a clue if that is anywhere near accurate.

and to show it all fits.

preplumbing-16.jpg

well there you have it.

comments, critiques, criticism encouraged.

joe

I think you got the mounts right, just positioning the engine correctly. Since you only have one side open, position the engine in relation to the exhausts ports and close in the mounts from there.

ok folks just a quick look at where we are with this.

i wanted to mock up the engine/firewall and the fuse just to see what it looked like and if i needed modifications to make it right.

i also wanted to mock up the oil tank as it will be seen thanks to my cuts.

havent a clue if that is anywhere near accurate.

and to show it all fits.

well there you have it.

comments, critiques, criticism encouraged.

joe

I think you got the mounts right, just positioning the engine correctly. Since you only have one side open, position the engine in relation to the exhausts ports and close in the mounts from there.

Blue Tack or white glue the exhaust to the engine for positioning and/or fitting purposes? I think that once the engine is in the proper position the exhaust issue will largely clear up on its own.

Good luck and cheers

saul many thanks for the pictures. looking at it i know what to do to fix this. the engine mounts are roughly 1/4 inch too short for where they are supposed to line up. easy enough to fix.

joe

Re: hawkenstein 2 engine mounts

ok folks this is the last change on these........................................i think.

finally got the engine mounts reasonable. i still need to add the lower brace but they seem to be positioned right. what i plan to do is move forward from here. there is a prominent brace that is lower than the main brace, i will add that but i am ready to move forward.

enginemount-1.jpg

engine-mount-2.jpg

enginemount-3.jpg

and dont get caught up with the spinner plate. that may not be the final version of that.

sorry about rehashing this one.

joe

Re: hawkenstein 2 engine mounts

many thanks all.

thinking it is time to start the painting for the engine and the engine compartment.

joe

Re: hawkenstein 2 12/7 update

well folks here is the engine compartment. it may not look like much but it is the best i have done to date. the exhausts are drilled out but i dont have a bit to get them really thin.

engine-compartment-1.jpg

engine-compartment-2.jpg

and just to show it fits.

engine-compartment-3.jpg

engine-compartment-4.jpg

the colors for the exhaust are just the base, when i get the body painted they will be weathered when i weather the body.

next should be to finish off the pit.

comments, critiques, and criticism encouraged.

joe

Re: hawkenstein 2 12/7 update

Magnificent! Wunderbar! Bueno! Looks really really good there. Your perseverance has paid off.

Cheers

Back