• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Going Grey - Decision made....

ij001

Spent a productive hour last night clearing-off and cleaning the bench in preparation for a 'BIG' project. I've still got the Starfighter, Recce Phantom and Mustang to decal and finish, so they still take priority.

OK then, a BIG project - well I've been looking back through the builds here at 'the field' from when I first joined (about five pages back), and in that time I cannot see a 'contemporary' aircraft project - yes I know 'contemporary' is subjective but for the sake of argument, let's say an aircraft flying in the last twenty-five years.

Now, what am I going to do about it ?? - Well try and build something contemporary and 'grey'... And what a choice I found in my stash. A-10's, F-15's, an F/A-18 or two, a MiG 29, more than a few Eurofighters a couple of Rafales, etc, etc. All I need to do know is choose (Oh G*d, here I go again :idonno )....

As I write this I'm torn between a Lakenheath Strike Eagle, a Bitburg F-15 in 1:72 (yeah I know not BIG, but have you seen how many stencils there are for one of those things !!), a Block 40 or 50 F-16, or a Eurofighter with a FULL a2a loadout.... Also in the mix is an F-5N and the aforementioned MiG 29 !!. Sort of a good thing that I don't have a 1:48 F-14 otherwise I'd never be able to choose.

I'll decide by the weekend.... pwomise :smack

Ian

Going Grey ??

I've done some of the large jets, did the F14 before I met Cindy. Not a bad build, wings worked and the gear were very steady and would roll well.

I have had the desire to do a really large scale jet but not sure I could do it justice. Seen so many of them built by folks who have extensive knowledge of them and who wire them up to the hilt. An A10, fully loaded with hard bombs..now that would be the ticket. :pilot

Going Grey ??

Better be quick with the A-10. From what I have read they are going to be retired for good.
James

Going Grey ??

If I did an A-10, I'd limit it to 1:72 - two reasons, I have a pair of (superb) Italeri/RoG kits already and in 1:48 a 'Hog is as big as a B-25 - a real Shelf-Hog if you can forgive the unforgivable pun :facepalm !!

Ian

Going Grey ??

Still torn between a Hornet, a Strike Eagle and a 'What If' Eurofighter.... At the moment the Eurofighter may have the edge !! - but that may falter as there's a set of decals on their way for the Hornet.... VMFA-142 'Flying Gators'. Difficult to say no to an Leatherneck F/A-18 with a huge Gator on the fin !!

Ian

Going Grey ??

Funny you should mention the ordnance - that's what set me thinking about the F-15E in the first place. I picked-up the Osprey book 'F-15E Strike Eagle Units in Combat' before we came-out to NZ. There's a section describing the 'Battle of Roberts Ridge' in Afghanistan, March 2002 - Without going into great detail, the thing that peaked my interest was the loadout the two F-15E's involved were carrying... Nine GBU-12's.

And yes I have two Hasegawa Weapon Sets 'D' which will give me the bombs... 'Would look really 'intimidating' with that loadout and tanks, and an A2A fit.

I'll come-down-off-the-fence when the Hornet decals arrive later this week.

Ian

Going Grey ??

The first brand new fighter jet I remember was the F15. I remember reading about it's first flight, reading about the Shrike Eagle doing it's thing up at Grand Forks AFB. Never got to work on it but I did study the weapons system. That think defined Air Superiority, it never lost a dog fight. Now to hang hard bombs from it! :bang head.

Going Grey ??

Well the decals arrived yesterday, and I have to say, the Monogram F/A-18 I was planning on sticking them on, just doesn't thrill me... Now I know that sounds snobby, but given that I can get a Hobbyboss Hornet for just $35.00 USD not including postage, directly from China, I think the decision has pretty-much been made for me !!

:coolio

Ian

hc552c5e.jpg
hab0c720.jpg

Going Grey ??

Usually when I hear HB I usually think, bland pit. I think you have this under control though Ian. When you say gray I am also thinking service and EW a/c, anti-sub etc. etc.
I think your choice is on line but since I don't really build modern jets I really wouldn't know. What ever you choose I believe it will be top notch and have plenty of ord.

OK, made my mind-up (who said "at last" ??). Going to build three 'Greys' starting with a Eurofighter; I'll follow that with either the F-15E or the F/A-18A. Going to build one at a time with no distractions and not too many 'extras'.

Going to have a CAP loadout like this:

hd95035a.jpg

Thanks folks for contributing to this 'thinking-out-loud' thread. I'll be starting a dedicated build thread in due course.

AFN

Ian

(y)

That'll do it, just do all of them. There was a great simulator out there once based on the Eurofighter, I never did master it but it was fun! :pilot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkIJkbrXPnc

Check it out, came-out last year, not bought it m'self yet tho'....

Ian

My next 'Grey'...

h870eeec.jpg

Just bought off eBay from a Chinese seller (very high rating 99.6%). It's got all the pieces I need to build the F/A-18+ that I've already got the decals for, plus a shed-load of stores that I can use elsewhere. And even with postage it's cost me just over $55.00 USD/$64.00 NZD. Have to say, I'm pretty pleased with that.

That said, I'm still committed to finishing the Eurofighter as soon as I can !!

AFN

Ian

That's right, dis the poor Mongram kit... :coolio

No next to nothing about modern jets... There were still F-106's in the inventory when I enlisted... and B-52s... but there will always be B-52s...

I guess if you HAVE to build something modern, a F/A-18 is a cool build...

Back