• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Future Integrated Soldier Technology (FIST)

RichB

I have a 1/9 scale figure from the Dragon/Esci SdKfz. 2 to use as a base for a soldier in the not to distant future. The plan is to scratch build & modify items for a helmet, weapons, body armour and various pouches. Just following my nose for now, seeing where the path goes as I work on him.

Start~9.jpg

The base figure is all vinyl and depicts a German Mountain Trooper in an anorak. The biggest challenge will be sculpting his right arm as the kit includes 2 left arms.

Initially I thought of modifying the field cap that comes in the kit but didn't what him to look too "German". So changing gears, I decided to give him a beret. It also gives me a chance to add a splash of colour depending on the branch I decide he belongs to.

First I glued a 0.020 strip of styrene rod at the line the beret should sit with some CA. Next some epoxy putty was rolled out thin and cut in a band about 0.125 wide and pressed against the head. Then another piece of epoxy was rolled out and an approximate 1.125" dia circle was cut and draped over his head, the right side reaching down to his ear. Then it was blending, shaping and smoothing, adding a few bits of epoxy to build areas up.

Beret1.jpg

Beret2.jpg

Beret3.jpg

Beret4.jpg

Once it has set up it needs a final sanding to smooth it out a bit more.

Next I worked on the boots, removing the hobnails from them and sanding them smooth and resoling them with epoxy putty with a new tread pattern pressed in.

Boots1.jpg

Some sanding and cleanup work to be done once the putty hardens.

Cheers,
Rich

Back