• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

"FROM A GALAXY FAR FAR AWAY"

Started a reference page here;

https://www.modelersalliance.com/forum/the-real-thing/151276-science-fiction-campaign-reference

No idea what to do for this one yet. Leaning towards something star wars but we'll see what I can dig up.

I think I'll try to tackle the Discovery. Here's the 54 foot production model:

h5ce39b5.jpg

There's a few resin kits out ranging from 1/144 to 1/72, but I might do a scratch build of it since there's no way I wouldn't be making it operational (pod launching).

h5ce39b5.jpg

There's a few resin kits out ranging from 1/144 to 1/72, but I might do a scratch build of it since there's no way I wouldn't be making it operational (pod launching).

That will be great to watch!

(y)

54 feet makes it nearly 1/6, so I bet it had to do with astronaut models for the exterior shots.

Surely that isn't the original from 2001! I was under the impression that Kubrick ordered all the models destroyed so they would never be used on another movie.

I know there was another Discovery built for 2010. It might be that one.

Surely that isn't the original from 2001! I was under the impression that Kubrick ordered all the models destroyed so they would never be used on another movie.

I know there was another Discovery built for 2010. It might be that one.

The one from 2010 was yellow from the sulphur of Io.

That pic was labelled under 54 foot, but the site linked was dead. After further research, it turms out that the model destruction was a myth supported by Kubrick being afraid of stills or info surfacing before release in '68. They weren't destroyed since post production lasted much longer and they might be needed. They were stored for years, ultimately being offered to Kubrick in the 70s, but he declined, since the small one was 18 feet, the larger 54. They remained in storage and no one knows the ultimate fate of the Discovery models. The Aires has surfaced in auction and the moonbus was destroyed by a kid with firecrackers.

Turns out that model was from a Kubrick exhibit in Toronto and is 18 feet, not one of the originals as linked by google.

Turns out that model was from a Kubrick exhibit in Toronto and is 18 feet, not one of the originals as linked by google.

Well that makes sense. Those pot lights in the ceiling would be huge by comparison if it was the 54 footer. :eek:hmy:

Stopped by a couple of hobby stores today to see if they had anything for this. The one had a couple of polar lights star trek ships. One was the original and can't recall what the other one was. I'm a fan of the franchise but not so much of the Star Trek Ships. Might have to wait until the next trip to Vancouver since we have time on this. Either that or put my scratch building skills to the test. :eek:hmy: :blink :S :sick: :frantic

I always loved this ship - can't wait to see the build. :popcorn

h5ce39b5.jpg

Back