• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

F/A-18A VFA-15 'Valions'

Flory Models 'Dark Dirt' wash:

he14385d.JPG

h7ce3bc0.JPG

h58b8138.JPG

h3794adb.JPG

h3529291.JPG

hf090b12.JPG

haf9795c.JPG

h85f6b89.JPG

h4d0562c.JPG

Next I'll add an oil wash under the engines to simulate various oil and fuel leaks. Early Hornets are particularly filthy in this area. Thanks for taking the time to look and/or comment.

Ian.

I missed this completely! Looking good Ian!

I was just thinking the other day that I've never seen anyone build a hornet on line. This was one of te few aircraft models I built as a kid. I think I was 7 or 8 at the time. Had some pretty cool adventures with that kit! Although it was 1/48 or 1/32. Used to fly it around the house in my hands!

:popcorn

And to think that from a carrier deck with no sand they get that dirty. The bottom our Cobras and Huey's really had a cake of dirt and oil underneath them. Gary

Not much work this week means some 'me time' in the 'cave'. Achieved some progress on both this and the Mustang:

hb0d1469.JPG

h2674753.JPG

h40e92ea.JPG

ha1ec655.JPG

h1881da0.JPG

h300af50.JPG

h3cc962d.JPG

hf76bb79.JPG

he8c6050.JPG

Streaks 'n leaks using the 'oil dot' method, all sealed-in with a brushed-on coat of Klear, then decals (CAM for the squadron markings and Aeromaster for the national markings, walkways & stencils - not that you can see them !!). Next I'll add the fluorescent light strips, then on to wrestling the massively complex undercarriage units in to position... swearing will almost certainly occur.

AFN

Ian.

Looking very believable Ian (y) (y) That landing gear is very complicated .

Hope it goes well . If not, I can help with some US aviation jargon for it don't fit right ( #^&*>< !!! ).

Cheers, Christian B)

Thanks for that, Christian. We had a similar approach in the RAF !! - rhymed closely with 'truck it' :eek:hmy:

Ian.

Turning on to short finals now...

h2ca545d.JPG

Everything is done except for the smaller aerials and pitots which I may wait to add until I'm at the show in three weeks - they are all 'butt-joined' no locaton holes so it's inevitable that they'll break-off during transport.

Humbrol enamel Satin-Cote overall, with a light 'mist' of Matt-Cote on the top of the wings, stabilisers and spine.

Should finish it tomorrow.

Thanks for keeping me company on the journey everyone. I've absolutely loved doing this one, and if I say so m'self I'm extremely pleased with the outcome. Finished photo's soon, don't touch that dial !!

Ian.

Back