• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Eindecker IV

:bash::bash::bash::bash::bang head:ph::ph::ph:

I have been working this seam for 2 weeks now. Fill sand repeat. @errains and @iambrb you both saw what I did to it Sunday. I sprayed some color on it today! That seam came back like "Eff you! I ain't going no where."

1591192394575.png

It's as if I have done nothing to this one seam.

I'm about ready to go build a tank.

Last edited:
Wonder if you ran a round Dremel bit down it and then filled it???

Seems odd that it would give you that much trouble Bob (pardon the pun)

I'm going to get some crazy low grit paper and sand this crap down to plastic then some bondo. IF that don't get it... :soldier

80 grit is about as low as I'd go, but then you might need spot putty on top of the Bondo to fill any excess scratches.

Wonder if you ran a round Dremel bit down it and then filled it???

Seems odd that it would give you that much trouble Bob (pardon the pun)
I don't have a good set of sanding drums for the dremel, besides, everytime I use a dremel it looks like I ran a dremel down it.. :rotf

How about some very fine plastic rod and melt it on with glue or better dissolved sprue and then sand down?

with that method I'm scared this seam would still pop up. Haven't had a chance to look at it again today. Too much stuff going on.

Get a metal smoothing file. The problem with sanding is that the seam area is a touch harder plastic than the area to the sides. Since those appear to be a little softer they are sanding away more than the center part. If you use a metal scraper or a flat smoothing file you can control more of where it removes material. Super fine sandpaper only as a last final finishing tool.

I use two files for that kind if thing, a mill bastard for material removal and a fine file for finishing. And I have had good success laying plastic card over flat surfaces like that, it's a lot easier to work the corners down.

The mill bastard has a surface with criss cross cuts making diamond shaped cutting bumps which remove more material. The smoothing file has straight cuts across it. I removes a bit less material and makes a smoother surface.

I took a utility blade and scrapped it across the fuselage.

1591281499476.png

Gives a good idea of the step i'm dealing with now. Next picture will be a cleaned up fuselage with no step seam...or the start of a tank. :soldier

Mist some primer over that and scrape it again, that will tell you if you're high or low. If it scrapes off evenly, you're flat.

So I got some course sand paper.
1591370637804.png

80, 120, 240. Sanded down to plastic. Primed sanded again with 1500 up to 3600. Looked good. Primed again. Smoothed that out. Then shot color again.

1591370716100.png

And there it was again.... :bang head

Once again I started sanding then I saw the seam had separated.

1591370790154.png

so I reached for the fresh bottle of Plas-i-weld and it tipped over. Soaked the underside of the fuselage. ran up under the masking tape running the machining finish on the side panels. Attacked the underside seam stitch detail and the underside panel.
The Eindecker was just not meant to be.
As you can see I need a new cutting matt also.
I'm going to clean up the work bench, put the things where they belong, tidy up and start the Lee. :soldier
I'll figure the motor can be used on something else, not sure what.

Goodness...or badness actually. Man I do feel your pain though sometimes it just feels like the kit has a mind of its own and it’s going to fight you the whole way.

I agree that maybe moving on is for the best at the moment. Not sure if I was you I would start the Lee just yet as that is a super involved and complex Kit. I think you need a quick win and finish like the Jeep idea we were talking about. Just a thought.
:victory:

Back