• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Eindecker IV

:bash:not:bash:listening:bash:

head beat on wall.gif

I usually don't bother to agonize over seams on the bottom, only on the top, but that's just me. Solvent weld glues tend to continue to shrink over time as the solvent gradually evaporates. Make sure the joint is well glued then set it aside for a couple of weeks before trying to do any additional work on appearance. While I generally hate using super glue for filler I have had some success with it for the dreaded phantom seam syndrome. One does need to go lightly with it though.

I usually don't bother to agonize over seams on the bottom, only on the top
It was a top seam Gary. The detail that was attacked is the stitched seam detail of the canvas as well as the forward sheet metal panel details. Who knows, I might revisit this later but I seriously doubt it.

Bob, do give some serious thought to using thin plastic sheet when there are seams in the middle of wide flat surfaces. I think one of the reasons they are difficult is the surface flexes and that weakens the joint. More reinforcement inside helps, but it's just easier to slap some sheet over the entire top surface, and then it's really easy to blend in the edges on the 90 degree corners.

Bob, do give some serious thought to using thin plastic sheet when there are seams in the middle of wide flat surfaces. I think one of the reasons they are difficult is the surface flexes and that weakens the joint. More reinforcement inside helps, but it's just easier to slap some sheet over the entire top surface, and then it's really easy to blend in the edges on the 90 degree corners.
Thanks for the info John, note the top seam is not the deathnail here. The spilled solvent is, I looked at the underside today, the panel under the cockpit is all crazed and deformed, the rigging is embedded in the plastic now, I would have to replace it. The stitched seam detail going down the length is deformed. More work than I want to do on this build.

Yeah, I understand, Bob. I was talking more about the next time you have a similar seam to deal with. A glue storm is a whole other thing.

Well considering that WnW is no more and the kit prices will probably skyrocket I doubt I'll have another Eindecker to build.
So I can use the wheels and stuff on other builds but it looks like this motor Oberursel U.III wasn't used on much anything else.

Back