• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

E-Type jag, Scale = big.

Tonight lesson is manifolds :)...... don't believe me, I just make it up as i go along ....

_DSC8653.JPG

Here are the rather uninspiring kit parts, they do at least have small moulded in nuts but nothing on the flanges. ↑

_DSC8660.JPG

So this is my answer to the flange bolts, these are plastic moulded nuts that come on a 3D printed sheet at least i think that's what it is.

_DSC8663.JPG

The manifold nuts have been sliced off and i have some small brass nuts and bits of matching threaded stud. this is watch maker stuff

_DSC8655.JPG

Her majesty demonstrating the size of the nuts. New coins with King Charles are now entering curculation. (14BA) thread dia 0.75mm so about 18 thou

_DSC8665.JPG

Looks like this will work so better splash some paint on before i go any further.

_DSC8666.JPG

Please with this :)

Last edited:
No fair! No paint/rust tutorial? I was taking notes for the quiz. :facepalm:
Do the new coins with King Charles depict much smaller nuts?

I always wondered how Jaguar thought the enameled finish on the exhaust manifolds was supposed to last. But at 100,000 miles most of it was still on them on mine. Pretty crackly looking, though, but not rusty that I recall. Pretty impressive as sometimes I could see them glow at night through the louvers. Or was that the turbocharger on the Beech Duke I remember? Maybe both. Might not be the truth but it's a hell of a good memory!

you have me at a disadvantage John , i have never owned one so i can only go by online pictures and as i mentioned earlier, finding an original is needle in a haystack stuff, i had enough trouble finding one with a dynamo. Most have after market carbs, exhausts, cam covers, air filters, electric fan radiators, uprated brakes and suspension. Basically most E-types have beem modified to make them drivable in the 21 century and i guess you would need to get to a museum to find an original and even then its most likly been restored.
This is what i based it on, you can see the original black but maybe i have overdone the rust a bit

1502495136_836208521.jpg

_DSC8668.JPG

Last edited:
I'm sure by now the enamel is all off the ones I used to have, Paddy. Mine maybe ran cooler than others because I frequently set the mixture. I was careful about that because several times when I was at the British Motors dealer there was a hapless individual holding up a piston with a hole in it saying why did my car do this? Setting the mixture for the two middle cylinders was difficult because they were fed from three carburettors but there were only two exhaust notes to listen to.

it might be heat caused by running weak but in the UK its more likely they spent the last 50 years under water due to our climate here :)

And another silk purse from a sows ear. Looking good and really love the exhaust manifold..
James

_DSC8678.JPG

No weathering yet but i think it will just want pin washes around screws and along some joins TBH. not sure whats wrong with my colour balance but the Manifold is not bright orange :cool:

This shows how careful you have to be when setting up a camera. They say a camera never lies but mine does :) this is the same picture with the saturation turned down and now true to life. It also shows why colour ref on the net is not a lot of good.

_DSC8678_01.JPG

Front Chassis .

My decision to go for Blue does complicate things as Red would be a lot easier on the Red plastic however blue looks better in high gloss i think.....we shall see :)
_DSC8682.JPG

Parts are quite nice and do fit well

_DSC8685.JPG

Shocks are basic but when i did a search on the web for E-type shocks...they were very basic. I have to remind myself this was 60 years ago ..

_DSC8683.JPG

_DSC8691.JPG

I have made the decals. These are period Girling labels
_DSC8689.JPG

These are about 6mm long and of course are two per decal. I have some decal fixer from microscale but it doesnt spray well on to this gloss decal paper, tends to bead and looks to thick if you brush it so i need to find a way to get it to sit better after spraying.

Last edited:
Back