• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Dragon StuG III Complete!

Dragon StuG III Ausf. G 10.5cm

Looking real good Mike (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y)
As for the designation change the Sturmgeshutze had cannon (guns). When they upgunned to the LeFh 18 Light Field Howitzer they changed the designation to SturnHaubitze or Stuh. And seeing as it came out in 1942 you get Stuh 42. To the best of my dwindling knowledge.
James

Looking real good Mike (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y)
As for the designation change the Sturmgeshutze had cannon (guns). When they upgunned to the LeFh 18 Light Field Howitzer they changed the designation to SturnHaubitze or Stuh. And seeing as it came out in 1942 you get Stuh 42. To the best of my dwindling knowledge.
James

No wonder you chaps speak such an odd language :rotf :rotf :rotf

(y) :ro: :popcorn :drinks There isn't an emotion for................. :zen Yes there is!

Many thanks, my friends!

Plowing ahead into the build, I got the tracks glued, painted and shaped yesterday. I glued the links with Testors Liquid Cement and waited about 15 minutes. I then shot the runs with Tamiya XF-84 Dark Iron thinned with Tamiya Lacquer Thinner. This dries really quickly, so as soon as the parts were dry enough to handle, I freed them from the tape and painted the other side. In about another 10 minutes, the run was dry enough to install. I carefully wrapped the run over the sprockets and returns, adding the sag I desired. 93 links gives just enough sag to be interesting and believable.

IMG_8818.JPG

IMG_8819.JPG

IMG_8820.JPG

I let the whole thing set up over night to make sure nothing came back apart.

This morning, I started adding pigments to the tracks. I used a blend of 4 different colors, I like the variety that gives the tracks.

IMG_8821.JPG

In these photos, the port side has no schmutz.

IMG_8822.JPG

IMG_8823.JPG

After you get the pigments where you want them, affix them with pigment fixer, alcohol or acrylic thinner. Let that dry and we're ready to make them look used. I love the AK Dark Steel pigment, it is really easy to use and gives better results than a graphite pencil.

IMG_8824.JPG

Grab some on a cotton bud and rub it on, presto! Instant polished steel!

IMG_8825.JPG

IMG_8826.JPG

IMG_8838.JPG

IMG_8839.JPG

I really like the way the dirt is in the crevices and the wear surface and highlights are shiny.

The rear deck is looking kind of naked, so I made a rack from extra track links and styrene rod.

IMG_8830.JPG

Since I am trying a new assembly method, the upper hull hasn't been painted yet.

IMG_8831.JPG

IMG_8832.JPG

I haven't decided on the schurzen yet, may leave the hangers nekkid. :laugh:

IMG_8833.JPG

That plug in the end of the barrel will come out after paint, leaving a shiny bore.

IMG_8834.JPG

IMG_8835.JPG

That's about all for this weekend's fun, thanks for stopping by!

:drinks

Bravo!! Now I can see how you do your tracks! :good: :soldier :salute :eek:ldguy :ro:

Thanks guys! Jeff, I wish you would bring back some of the ausfwerks tips, I learned a lot from them. Any chance of posting them on the Forum?

And yes, break out the armor! :drinks

Thanks, guys! I really appreciate you taking time to look and comment. (y)

More to come.

A brief update. I have thumbs, but not enough hands, SO...

IMG_8840.JPG

Installing the schurzen racks.

IMG_8841.JPG

IMG_8842.JPG

Also employed the yellow clamps.

IMG_8843.JPG

IMG_8844.JPG

Managed to leave the top loose on my Tamiya Extra Thin yesterday. :facepalm

More to come. Thanks for coming by.

:drinks

Back