• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Dragon StuG III Complete!

Iron Mike

Master At Arms And Resident Curmudgeon
This kit has been in my stash a long time and it's high time to break it out. The Imperial Series Dragon StuG III Ausf. G 10.5cm kit is chock full of goodies and there's plenty more I have been squirreling away. And away we go!

IMG_8794.JPG

IMG_8795.JPG

IMG_8796.JPG

IMG_8797.JPG

Dedicating this build to friends and family who have survived, are dealing with and who have succumbed to this terrible affliction, may we find a cure. :ro:

B)

Dragon StuG III Ausf. G 10.5cm

Thanks guys! Well, the day was productive. I managed to get quite a lot done as the kit is fairly simple and it's not my first StuG rodeo. :laugh:

Wheels.

IMG_8798.JPG

The one on the left has wear damage, the right is just cleaned up.

IMG_8799.JPG

More running gear.

IMG_8801.JPG

Hull mostly assembled, just positioned for photos.

IMG_8800.JPG

It's back to work tomorrow, but it was a good two days at the bench. Thanks for coming by.

:drinks

Ahhh , the dice have been cast :good:

Looking forward to more :drinks

Cheers,Christian :(

My oh my! Haven't we got the BIG cannon on this one!! (y) :soldier :good:
I hope you get to feelin' better as well!! :zen

Thanks guys! Well, the day was productive. I managed to get quite a lot done as the kit is fairly simple and it's not my first StuG rodeo. :laugh:

Wheels.

IMG_8798.JPG

The one on the left has wear damage, the right is just cleaned up.

IMG_8799.JPG

More running gear.

IMG_8801.JPG

Hull mostly assembled, just positioned for photos.

IMG_8800.JPG

It's back to work tomorrow, but it was a good two days at the bench. Thanks for coming by.

Man that this is COOL! That 105mm gun must have been baaaaaad news for any nearby bunkers (or tanks at the time either, a hit from that even in HE would have been a bad day)

Looks great so far Mike! (y)

Just wondering why Dragon calls it StuG III instead of StuH III. :idonno

Gr,Ron.

Hey, thanks for the responses, my friends! Ron, best I can tell from my reading is the StuH was considered a howitzer for support of infantry, so your guess is as good as mine whether it's a StuG or StuH. :laugh: Both were used in support of the infantry. :idonno

I spent a couple days at the bench, just didn't post my progress photos (I know, slacker). With the western half of North Carolina either on fire or covered in smoke, it's been rough on the eyes and sinuses. We haven't had any rain since Hurricane Matthew, over a month ago and we didn't get much then either, so it's dry as a tinderbox here. :vmad

Here's the progress to date.

Assembled parts.

IMG_8809.JPG

I realized there was no lower grille in this kit, so we CAN'T leave a big hole. I saved one from a previous build, this is why you never throw anything away!!!!

IMG_8808.JPG

A little filing and bingo, no more hole!

IMG_8810.JPG

Since the OOB thing got scratched by the lack of a grille, I decided to use a spare set of Magic Tracks. Very little cleanup, a good thing since there's 93 links per side. :gogo

IMG_8811.JPG

I worked on the tools some too, here they are in primer.

IMG_8813.JPG

Road wheels painted.

IMG_8812.JPG

I went ahead and painted the lower hull, going to try a different method this go. I plan to paint and affix the tracks prior to installing the upper hull, see how that goes? I used some AK Interactive Dark Steel pigment AK-086 to represent the wear on the teeth and return rollers. A dab on a cotton swab, then rub it onto the surface creates a shiny, worn off paint look that I like.

IMG_8815.JPG

IMG_8817.JPG

That's all for now, folks. Thanks for coming by.

Back