• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Double D's :)

matrixone

Here are a couple new models started yesterday they are both Tamiya 1/48 scale Do 335's.

They will be built O.O.B. but the markings will be different.

The box tops

h2927248.JPG

The cockpits are being constructed and some painting has taken place already. After the RLM 66 Blackgray was airbrushed on I used some flat black to add forced shadows in some random places, some of what I did can't be seen in these pictures but its there!

h089befb.JPG

h64668f3.JPG

The parts below are not glued together yet, just some dry fitting being done.

hfe9b17d.JPG

Matrixone

... :blush: Sorry Les (and everybody else), I accidentally deleted this thread, combination of small smart-phone screen and my sausage-like fingers.

OK, on with the comment I was about to make... Hey Les, great choice of project(s), loved building that kit, do you remember it - the B2 'Schlacht' in the winter camo ??

Ian

I guess the title got Ians hand shaky...

Ian the first thing you should remember about doing IT stuff, if you do something and recover before anyone notices...it didn't happen. :rotf

I love this aircraft, who came up with Anteater for the name should be shot!

Proceed Les :pilot

:popcorn

Ian,
I wondered if the title was too racy, I figured that's why my thread had gone...glad to see it back. :lol:

Yes I can barely remember the white Do 335, that was a number of years ago right? Or else my memory is getting worse than I thought. :blink

Bob,
The Do 335's will be slow in getting things done on them until I finish off a couple more models, the good thing the Bf 109K-4 is getting closer to being out of my way. :)

Matrixone

I guess the title got Ians hand shaky...

Ian the first thing you should remember about doing IT stuff, if you do something and recover before anyone notices...it didn't happen. :rotf

I love this aircraft, who came up with Anteater for the name should be shot!

Proceed Les :pilot

:popcorn

Actually Bob if you look at the profile of this thing, I can easily see how they related to the Giant anteater .

My first version wore a hand painted anteater nose art. Based on an ancient article. Sadly it no longer exist .

Cheers, Christian B)

Yes Les...amazing planes.. :pilot .it will be very interesting to follow this thread...hope to learn a lot...with you...always :good: ...btw,hard edges or soft ones?...free hand or masks?

All the best!

Luiz

Thanks to all for looking in and the comments! (y)

Luiz,
After looking at all available photographs of production Do 335's in their original camouflage paint they had soft but very tight demarcation lines on the camouflage pattern and I will attempt to follow this painting practice on my models. I will first have to mask off the pattern and paint the model(s) and then to get the soft edges I will go back with the airbrush and spray just inside the edge between the colors to get just a hint of a soft edge. When I painted the stencil applied camouflage pattern on the fin and rudder on the Bf 109K-4 I used this very same technique.

hbb2cfe9_2014-09-02.JPG

Here are the Dornier's cockpit parts during painting and after some assembly.

h0090b63.JPG

h988b722.JPG

hc4a1bd3.JPG

h392fde5.JPG

Over the years I learned not to waste time doing a lot of detail painting of the cockpits on my models since often the detail is lost forever once the fuselage halves are glued together but the cockpits in these Tamiya kits are so nicely rendered it would be a shame to NOT detail them, plus the canopy glass is large and clear enough for a person to actually see some of the cockpit even after the model is finished...unlike Fw 190's or Bf 109's. :blink

Matrixone

If I were asked to choose which of Tamiya's 1:48 kits had the 'best' cockpit detail, I'd be hard-pushed to choose between this and the Mosquito. Excellent work, Les.... Carry-on :popcorn

Ian

Thanks to all for looking in and the comments! (y)

Luiz,
After looking at all available photographs of production Do 335's in their original camouflage paint they had soft but very tight demarcation lines on the camouflage pattern and I will attempt to follow this painting practice on my models. I will first have to mask off the pattern and paint the model(s) and then to get the soft edges I will go back with the airbrush and spray just inside the edge between the colors to get just a hint of a soft edge. When I painted the stencil applied camouflage pattern on the fin and rudder on the Bf 109K-4 I used this very same technique.

hbb2cfe9_2014-09-02.JPG

Here are the Dornier's cockpit parts during painting and after some assembly.

h0090b63.JPG

h988b722.JPG

hc4a1bd3.JPG

h392fde5.JPG

Over the years I learned not to waste time doing a lot of detail painting of the cockpits on my models since often the detail is lost forever once the fuselage halves are glued together but the cockpits in these Tamiya kits are so nicely rendered it would be a shame to NOT detail them, plus the canopy glass is large and clear enough for a person to actually see some of the cockpit even after the model is finished...unlike Fw 190's or Bf 109's. :blink

Matrixone

:good: :good:

Great kits and you are doing them justice (y) I love the way the wings latch into position, just make sure you don't need to remove them as they can be difficult to remove once latched in place !

Thanks Bob and Gary!

Gary,
I built the Do-335B a few years back and found out about the way the wings lock into place...it was a shock at the time since I was only wanting to do a quick dry fit but since it was a Tamiya kit I got away with it unscathed.

Matrixone

The Dornier workshop at Oberpfaffenhofen in May 1945 after capture, these two incomplete Do 335 hulks were dragged outside to be later scrapped, in the background are at least two complete Do 335s that were flight ready.

hfac6706.JPG

h2ac44ba.JPG

Actually the pictures above are of my two Tamiya Do 335s that are under construction. Below are two other views of at what stage I am at on these models.

h868a7d0.JPG

h67edec3.JPG

Matrixone

Back