• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Double D's :)

Thanks guys! :good:

Yesterday I tried to add paint chipping to the model but after stepping away from the model and returning to it with fresh eyes I decided what I had done before was crap and needed to change it. After some reworking it looks a little better now and felt comfortable enough to spray the model with a thin coat of Future, this time tomorrow I should have most of the weathering with oil paints on it and I should have some new pictures too.

Matrixone

Thanks guys! :good:

Yesterday I tried to add paint chipping to the model but after stepping away from the model and returning to it with fresh eyes I decided what I had done before was crap and needed to change it. After some reworking it looks a little better now and felt comfortable enough to spray the model with a thin coat of Future, this time tomorrow I should have most of the weathering with oil paints on it and I should have some new pictures too.

Matrixone

:good: :popcorn

Les - I need to ask a couple of favors. Can you please walk me through your technique for doing the exhaust staining? Colors and airbrush techniques. I am still struggling with exhaust a little bit and your looks very realistic.

h86a8786.JPG

Also, how did you do the tires? I am still trying to get some realistic looking tires.

Mike

Mike, thank you for noticing the work I did painting the exhaust stains and wheels.

For painting exhaust stains I did this in three steps, first I sprayed on flat dark brown to establish the basic pattern and then sprayed flat black keeping it just inside the brown pattern, the last step is to spray a very small area of flat tan/gray near the exhaust pipe.
Whenever you are spraying exhaust stains on a model it really pays to keep photographs of the same type of aircraft you are modeling nearby so you won't accidentally go too far.

The wheels are painted by first painting the hub, and in the case of most German WWII fighters the hubs were painted gloss black.

h221e638.JPG

After the paint on the wheel hub is fully dry I hand paint the tire itself, I prefer hand painting these because the slight texture from the brush painting looks 'right' to my eyes.
After the rubber tire color is painted on I decide just how much weathering the wheels need and paint those details by a combination of brush and airbrush.
BTW, I use a custom mix color for the tires...I use a small square bottle of Testor's Rubber and lighten it with flat gray until I get the shade I need.

Matrixone

Back