• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Double D's :)

Thanks guys!

For those that don't know or care much about the Do 335 Oberphaffenhofen was the main assembly plant for the Do 335 and it was captured sometime in April 1945 by American forces and the first two pictures in my post above was an attempt to mimic some of the photographs taken at Oberphaffenhofen in 1945.
Below are some of those photographs taken by American troops...

These first two pictures show some partly finished Do 335's inside one of the assembly shops.
h64be01c.JPG

h622b278.JPG

Later those unfinished Do 335's were dragged outside and gathered in the center of a field.

h52eb56a.JPG

These two color photographs show Do 335B fuselages inside one of the bombed out assembly shops. These fuselages can be seen in the photograph above in the upper lefthand corner.

h6ecb7f4.JPG

h8d568b4.JPG

This incomplete Do 335 was found hidden near the edge of a tree line at Oberphaffenhofen.

hc1e5b36.JPG

This Do 335 (WrN.240105) has been seen in many publications before but this photograph of it is rarely seen, it was taken a long time after the war ended in a scrap yard with many other types of ex-Luftwaffe machines. Note the soft edge to the demarcation lines of the two upper surface colors.

h26b7ee6.JPG

This is what happened to most of the Do 335's at Oberphaffenhofen...a sad end.

h4e988d9.JPG

And here is one of my Do 335's as it looks now, the wings need to be added and then its almost ready for paint.
The canopies for both Dorniers have been masked...I wanted to get this step out of the way since I really hate masking canopies.

h3866d10.JPG

Matrixone

Les , really you are doing an excelente job on these both 335...just briliant :good:

...thank you very much for posting amazing pictures :good:

...btw,did you see this link : http://www.themodellingnews.com/2014/09/hk-models-do-335-pfeil-in-132nd-scale.html#more

Best!

Luiz.

Thanks Bob and Luiz!

Luiz,
I was aware of this kit but was NOT aware this company was also going to release the night fighter variant of the Do 335...that version of the Do 335 is perfect for my collection. :woohoo:

Here are two pictures of some progress I have made on these kits.

The wheels have been given their basic paint job and look factory fresh here...this will be changed very soon.
The propellers have been painted and some weathering has also been done to them with the airbrush by adding some light fading of the base color of RLM 70 and some erosion on the back of the propeller blades exposing some of the metal.
The radiators were also assembled and painted. The method I used for painting the radiators was to first spray on highly thinned gloss black and after the black paint dried for a few minutes I misted on Testor's Chrome Silver by aiming the cone of the spray pattern just off to the side. By doing this I has great control over how quickly the radiator was covered with paint, too much paint would have made it look like it was simply painted with bright silver...I was after a metallic finish that would enhance the molded in detail and I was successful in this.
The spinners were also sprayed gloss black. I wanted these spinners to have the usual black and white spinner spiral and I tried using some leftover spiral decals from a Fw 190D-9 decal sheet and quickly found they won't work too well on the Do 335 spinners so only the very front of the spiral decals are being used, the rest of the spirals are being hand painted and as you can see here I am not quite finished with painting them just yet.

h84f1488.JPG

h7973acd.JPG

Matrixone

Thanks Bob,
I used to hand paint ALL the spinner spirals until I discovered Tamiya tape and then started to mask off and airbrush the spirals. However on 1/72 scale models I still favor hand painting them.
The spiral decals in some of the decal sheets are nice but they don't always match the spinner spirals seen in the photographs of the full size machines.
Since the spinner spirals were not painted at the factory level a lot of spinner spirals were hand painted by the ground crew after delivery, the quality of the paint job had a lot to do with the skill of the person tasked with painting on the spiral...there was a lot of variation in the tightness of the spirals, that's why you see two very different looking spinner spirals on the Do 335 spinners. :)

Matrixone

Thank you Luiz,

Here are a few more Do 335 in-progress pictures.

The weathering of the wheels has been started by adding some wear and scuff marks on the hubs. Next the tires will get some dirt and mud applied to them with both a paint brush and airbrush.
Also I finished painting the spinner spirals, after the paint is dry the spinners will be given a gloss coat to even out the look of the paint.

ha70833c.JPG

hba63398.JPG

This last picture shows to good advantage the paintwork on the radiators.

h34314ab.JPG

Matrixone

Thanks again Luiz!

The propellers and wheels are finished with their painting and weathering, I can set these things aside while I get the airframes ready for paint.

In these set of pictures the propellers and wheels on the left side are for the Do 335A-1 and the parts on the right are for the Do 335B-10 advanced trainer.
Even though the parts are identical they are weathered differently since the two machines serve different purposes...the B-10 trainer will be finished as a clapped out war weary machine. :lol:

hb2df0db.JPG

h6e7dd57.JPG

hf075d42.JPG

Matrixone

The builds are looking quite nice! The concept of why over detail something that can't be seen is one I need to follow a bit more cloely. :notworthy

Thank you guys for the comments!

Heavens Eagle,
If I could do the type of high quality detail work that you and Chukw can do I would also add extra detail to the bits that can't be seen. :)

Matrixone

Thank you guys for the comments!

Heavens Eagle,
If I could do the type of high quality detail work that you and Chukw can do I would also add extra detail to the bits that can't be seen. :)

Matrixone

Ummm :blush: Thanks for the complement Matrix' ! I actually think a lot of your work too! Have been coming off an almost 20 year hiatus, and while the building skills are up there, my painting skills and experience are almost newbie. Am having to do a lot of observe and learn there. A LOT!

So keep up the good work, I'm watching and learning! :popcorn

Thanks James and thanks again Paul!

The wings on both Do 335s are on but did not fit as well as they should near the wing roots, a lick of red spot putty was needed and has been sanded down, after these two pics were taken I did a test spray to check out how the seams look and it was not good...more spot putty or Mr. Surfacer will be needed. :S

haca8a40.JPG

h883ad42.JPG

Matrixone

Back