• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

DH-82A/C TIGER MOTH 1/32 DNF but still trying

DH-82A/C TIGER MOTH 1/32 (Down To The Wire)

I haven't used tube cement since I was a kid, I thought they took all the good stuff out when sniffing the stuff became vogue. I think you need some thing hotter solvent wise like Tamiya thin or Tenax7R. If what you are using is not melting the joint a bit you are not going to get a solid bond. CA tends to be too brittle for joints that are going to under stress like when you do rigging. Best CA I've found is Gorilla's stuff, it has an additive to make it a bit more flexible but I still think you need something hotter than tube glue.

I haven't used tube cement since I was a kid, I thought they took all the good stuff out when sniffing the stuff became vogue. I think you need some thing hotter solvent wise like Tamiya thin or Tenax7R. If what you are using is not melting the joint a bit you are not going to get a solid bond. CA tends to be too brittle for joints that are going to under stress like when you do rigging. Best CA I've found is Gorilla's stuff, it has an additive to make it a bit more flexible but I still think you need something hotter than tube glue.

Thanks Gary, You still can get the good stuff (Orange Tube) Testors. Another problem I'm having is that, I don't seem to have enough arms, So I saw a feller who was using Legos to build on, if I could just get it to stay still while it dries ... I may stop by the store on the way home tonight.

Gerry, are you having trouble at the attachment point of the struts or the struts themselves collapsing?

if it is the former, I've had very good results drilling a small hole in teh strut and the fuselage/float and then super gluing in a small pin. it works quite well but is just a little extra work.

If it is the latter, i'm sure you can fashion some brass rods for teh struts.

Ag no man she was looking real sweet also :frantic

Yes My Best Yet, only a few other modelers thought so, Let's face it I'm no modeler. And this isn't Facebook. The Tiger Moth isn't smashed really with the brick the plastic was so old that the glue wouldn't stick, It's just in a pile the way it collapsed, on the bench. I am a good modeler, and I'm a innovator, this may intimidate some Here. I'm thinking of doing the struts that keep failing in brass, so there may be life yet for the Tiger Moth, Just no campaign ribbon. I just laid around, and played around this old forum too long. :woohoo:
Finish her on Dejavu mate

Yes My Best Yet, only a few other modelers thought so, Let's face it I'm no modeler. And this isn't Facebook. The Tiger Moth isn't smashed really with the brick the plastic was so old that the glue wouldn't stick, It's just in a pile the way it collapsed, on the bench. I am a good modeler, and I'm a innovator, this may intimidate some Here. I'm thinking of doing the struts that keep failing in brass, so there may be life yet for the Tiger Moth, Just no campaign ribbon. I just laid around, and played around this old forum too long. :woohoo:

What he said :popcorn

And Gerry, try Tenax and see what happens. If it's still a problem, I'm sure ya kin whip up a set of brass struts. Just use the kit's as a guide... :drinks

Hang in there Gerry, if I can finish that Bulldog you can whip this. :zen

Get the hot stuff out and position the struts one at a time with some supports.

Gerry, are you having trouble at the attachment point of the struts or the struts themselves collapsing?

if it is the former, I've had very good results drilling a small hole in teh strut and the fuselage/float and then super gluing in a small pin. it works quite well but is just a little extra work.

Warren, the struts in middle of the wing come loose at the attachment points, then the whole thing just twists and the side struts come loose, then as you fix the wing the float struts do the same thing. I don't think the plastic is welding and also the whole thing is top heavy 1:32 scale very big & lots of wing/body weight on floats, I could try rigging them with wires, so I think I'll try that.

Hang in there Gerry, if I can finish that Bulldog you can whip this. :zen

Get the hot stuff out and position the struts one at a time with some supports.

Thanks MP, I really don't want to fall on my face on this, I'll give it a shot. ... :( :pilot

I'll do a Deja vu ... on this one that'll give Me some space ... I really need to stop and smell the roses a bit. I considered pinning the struts so I may try that, I have to see about the flexing of said struts, I'm looking for more rigidity so she's more stable as the flexing of the wing seams to loosen glue joints.

DH-82A/C TIGER MOTH MatchBox 1/32 - Update !!

h2a48623.JPG

These are the buggers that are giving you the issue??

Not sure if this helps but if you recall, I had issues with my lublin and drilled out the struts like this

Also had to replace the center ones with brass rod

With this being 1/32 I bet you could drill out those top supports to add a little pin, the bottoms where they attach to the fuse look like they are solid.

Don't want to force anything on you or cause further aggravation though!

thanks for the note on the paint by the way! Silver and red would be striking! It's amazing how much it changes sometimes when captured in image!

I don't think we've closed a campaign on time in a while, keep working. :soldier

I do think I see the issue, I'm good at drilling, so if I pin all struts, it should help, the outer wing struts have hardly any area for glue to adhere to, I'll give it another try tonight Thanks for all the Help, this is the Modelers Alliance I really like ... :pilot

Now would it be best to do the floats first or the wings ??

and real funny How the camera changes bright red to orange, not sure why it depends on the light in the room. I have a new photo box but when doing SBS no time for that. :salute

I just have been in checking everything out the struts are very thin probably 1:32 thick, so thin that a #80 drill bit won't go in to drill a hole. So I'm going to stop at the Hardware store tomorrow and pickup some brass strip ... Then We'll see what tomorrow brings. :hmmm :idonno :woohoo:

Wow, I thought I had subscribed to this, but apparently it didn't stick. Well done Gerry for sticking with this. I'd still like to know if the Tamiya Extra Thin or Tenax worked, but if you're getting brass strip, I guess it didn't. I was also going to suggest drilling out or scraping out the attachment points to remove any paint but you're long past that point. You got this Gerry, I'm now watching this to see how you do. Keep plugging man!

Yes I'll admit, I nearly lost it, on Dec the 1st but you'd have to be in my shoes. I had it all together waiting for it to dry so I could get the decals on & post this beauty. This had happened countless times before, I realize it must be a difficult kit, or other would try it. I'm gaining a new respect for those Tamiya & trumpy Kits. they are fantastic compared to the matchbox.

h4aaeb74.JPG

Here's to prove she' didn't hit Hard or that the brick missed, ( aside: "Because I didn't have one" ) ... :rotf

ha88870c.JPG

he54bd96.JPG

h234fc30.JPG

This is in my Humble opinion the problem these plastic bits that they are calling struts would collapse upon the first breaker the floats hit, Or if lift was achieved, top wing wouldn't be attached for very long. I would love to try rigging this one, but I must get it together 1st.

hd9d5b92.JPG

I have noticed that the floats didn't sit right, so I drilled two holes in either float, to put weight inside.

hfa5e389.JPG

I have bags of this split shot, works great ....

h38a501d.JPG

I have painted the windscreens and I'm fixing to go to the Hanger / garage. as I've decided to work on one while that's drying, I'll do abit on a different one ... Roger

Thanks for the Help & understanding, :salute

Well I went to the hardware store ended up with out any brass ... seems all they had was tube & sheet but I'm not going rip brass ... Unless I have to ... :pilot

Back