• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

D-Day P-47

Thanks for the support Phil, rest assured you've not heard the last of me and AlcladII.

Like I said previously. I took the drop tanks with just Tamiya Gloss Black and Chrome, that's all, and it's working great. Tape test is positive, no lifting at all.

See y'all on the B47 thread. :pilot

Gotta give you kudos for trying, Bob. Seems you just cannot get a break on NMF finishes.

Sh*t happens, you've done the right thing now shake-it-off and move on.

Best

Ian

Bob, I can't help but think that you should not Future the Alclad until it's all painted and decaled, there has to be a reason why you have so much grief with that paint

Buy the sounds of the drop tanks method - not Futured, you may of found the problem

sending good vibes!

This ain't over yet....:evil:

Over? was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

P47041.jpg

Dropped the big one, pictures next week hopefully. :Hiay

Bob,
Sorry to learn of your problems with the finish of your P-47. Alclad is an excellent product but it can go wrong with little warning.

I have read of others having problems before when using the combination of Alclad over a Tamiya base coat. Since I don't use Tamiya paints myself I can't tell you what went wrong with the Alclad on your model but I CAN tell you what I use when working with Alclad, I have had excellent results when using Model Master enamel gloss black as a base coat.
The key to using enamel gloss black is to thin it quite a bit and put on a good wet coat but at the same time not a thick coat, only put as little paint as possible on the model. Thick coats of paint do nothing to help and can work against you if you are using Alclad, a thick coat of gloss black will take a lot longer to dry and may allow more dust to get into the paint while it dries. A single coat of highly thinned gloss black paint will dry much quicker and also help avoid orange peel which is a real advantage when using Alclad Chrome or other highly relflective Alclad shades. But a word of warning...when spraying any highly thinned paint keep the airbrush moving to avoid runs, also start and stop the paint flow from the airbrush while its not aimed at the models surface.

Some people on other forums have said they had cracking problems when using enamel paint as a base coat for Alclad but I am quite sure they sprayed over a thick coat of paint that was not 100% cured, after spraying enamel gloss black be sure to let it dry for a few days to fully gas off before adding the Alclad and there should be no problems especially if you had a thin coat of gloss black.

Matrixone

Thank you Les, good suggestions all around. What gets me about this finish is it's in essence the same techniques I used on previous builds that didn't have this cracking issue.

I had planned on doing just Tamiya Gloss Black as a base coat because I did that on a drop tank and it's pretty much bullet proof. I'll test around with some spare parts and stuff, will post up here how it turns out.

Thanks for the positive vibes (y)

Back