• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Colossus-Building the Bismarck-Trumpeter 1/200th

Thanks for the advice and compliments gentlemen, the photos have been fixed.

I took photos on my mobile, uploaded them to the PC, checked them, then uploaded them on MA, so not directly from the mobile. They appeared sideways, even though on the PC they looked right.

Then I edited the photos, took screenshots of them (size decreased from 2Mb each to less than 100k) and now it all looks normal.

:drinks

Laurence

Right, time for another update with iPhone photos showing the right way :D

Almost done with the straps for the 4 x 11m launches, mounted on top of the main hangar.

h236ca49.JPG

Only one of the boats is showing the cabin, the rest are still WIP.

h168ddf1.JPG

The radar is dry fitted for now - too delicate to glue in place while working on the boats.

he4eb962.JPG

Another angle.

What is left for this section - 4 AA batteries and the main mast, which is all turned brass. Won't have the mast in place any time soon.

Thanks for watching.

Laurence

It's really shaping up nicely, Laurence! The colors of the launches look spot on to me. (y)

Thanks Mike - I need to dull them a little bit, they look a bit too shiny. I also need to scratch some small sand bags or whatever those were, hanging over the sides to protect from impact when approaching the dock or another ship. I saw tugs using old tires for this purpose.

The thing that bugs me a bit is, again, materials showing different things - colors in particular. This is a black & white one, but still makes it kind of obvious the boats' decks and cabins were painted with an overall dark color.

h1195c94_2019-12-15.jpg

To make things more "interesting" - a color photo, which I don't think it's of Bismarck, but the boat is the same, tells a different story (my guess)...

h57aa2d2.jpg

Either way, 100% historically accurate or not, I am not changing the colors now.

Laurence

Over here they are called bumpers, or at least that's what we called them boating around the lake. Maybe some of the sailors know the nautical term.

Looks sweet! :captain

Laurence,

That looks amazing! That kit, with the photo-etch, is almost a Superdiorama in itself!!!

BTW, being an old guy who remembers the 1940s, most all motorboats back then had wooden decks and cabins that were stained and varnished. That practice continued through the 1950s as well. I wouldn't even think of changing that! If you look at the color photo, you can clearly see the cabin had a mahogany finish.

Fantastic, my friend!!!

(y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y)

Bob

Gorgeous work. The bumpers I've seen could be tires or a mesh affair. I figured if I ever tried making a boat again I would get my wife to crochet the bumpers for a good look.
James

Something to remember about black and white photos is that different film reacted in odd ways to some colors. Seems I remember some film would make yellow quite dark sometimes. I have also seen WWI photos that really go all weird. Blue would seem to be a very light blue where red would show up as black.

Using that color photo of another German ship as a reference is a good starting point.

So far, so good looks awesome!

thumbsup.gif
thumbsup.gif

Laurence,

That looks amazing! That kit, with the photo-etch, is almost a Superdiorama in itself!!!

BTW, being an old guy who remembers the 1940s, most all motorboats back then had wooden decks and cabins that were stained and varnished. That practice continued through the 1950s as well. I wouldn't even think of changing that! If you look at the color photo, you can clearly see the cabin had a mahogany finish.

Fantastic, my friend!!!

(y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y)

Bob

Thanks Bob :notworthy

Almost a superdiorama - that's a huge compliment, but it's a lot less than that. It's putting the small pieces in place following instructions - nothing creative about it.

I do have some other materials showing the varnished wood decks and cabins on the boats, all of them. I won't change anything :D :D :D

More photos to come soon (y)

Gorgeous work. The bumpers I've seen could be tires or a mesh affair. I figured if I ever tried making a boat again I would get my wife to crochet the bumpers for a good look.
James

Thanks James - crochet would be fantastic for something in 1/35th or similar - I think 1/200 is way too small a scale for something like that.

Laurence

Something to remember about black and white photos is that different film reacted in odd ways to some colors. Seems I remember some film would make yellow quite dark sometimes. I have also seen WWI photos that really go all weird. Blue would seem to be a very light blue where red would show up as black.

Using that color photo of another German ship as a reference is a good starting point.

So far, so good looks awesome!

thumbsup.gif
thumbsup.gif

Thanks Paul - agree,B&W stuff can be so misleading, I have stopped guessing colors long time ago, I'd rather leave it to the experts :D

Laurence

Back