• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Colossus-Building the Bismarck-Trumpeter 1/200th

Quite the project Laurence . Lot's of bitty pieces to be sure . The quality of the assembled pieces are really cool.

The one positive about doing all these now , is that when you get the main part of the ship together , the tedious parts will already be done .

Cheers, Christian B)

What a monumental project....awesomeness!!!
:v

Thanks Eric - not there yet, the awesomeness bit I mean. I love the magnitude and challenges, I hate the fact that I am not in position to go full steam ahead on this one, but that's life.

Cheers,

Laurence

Quite the project Laurence . Lot's of bitty pieces to be sure . The quality of the assembled pieces are really cool.

The one positive about doing all these now , is that when you get the main part of the ship together , the tedious parts will already be done .

Cheers, Christian B)

You're right Christian, it should be easy (easier) once the smallest bits are in position. I am really not looking forward to the following:

- all the rails - long PE pieces that need to remain vertical, perfectly vertical that is and there's heaps of them
- the water over the deck ....that should be fun, showing vast amounts of foamy water everywhere
- the rigging .....I don't even have some plans of sorts, just a bunch of photos that aren't even the best ever

Well, we shall see ...certainly lots of tedious parts ahead .... :captain

Laurence

Life boats continued .... here's a pickle ....

hc6b1889.jpg

The boats are NOT grey as I saw somewhere, but white, with the immersed portion of the motorboats painted in a dark color (dark grey or hull red, saw both referenced in different materials). The boats that appear in the foreground (oars are inside) are white all over.

Back to painting them (again) - joy !!!

Laurence

Now for some more PE fun ...stuff ....

h2b9ea28.JPG

This is a photo showing left to right - most of the deck primed and painted pink (Vallejo), ready for oils - PE but only a few pieces - an almost finished deck, painted with burnt sienna and the piece of plastic from the kit - the difference is obvious.

haac522a.JPG

Two of the hangars, painted in a different shade of grey than other pieces of superstructure, for a bit of variety. They will look different after weathering. Hangar doors will be most weathered, as they were used constantly.

h50bba76.JPG

And a different angle with a knife to give the viewer an idea about the size of these things.

I am aiming at finishing the boats' hulls then adding the decks, then putting the boats in place. I have to be carefully planning ahead, since there is no room for me to work on the model at our current place. The biggest problem is the height of things, because right now the hull is in the box and it fits nicely, but, if I add superstructure elements, I won't be able to close it. :vmad

Thanks for watching.

Laurence

Lovely...would be a nice boat for the summer outing. (y)

Good catch on the color of thew boats. I think it was standard with all navies to paint the lifeboats and motor boats in white to make them easier to find by search and rescue crews.

Brilliant work on the wood color. I'll be trying that same technique myself... I have a wooden railroad flatcar to do.

Good catch on the color of thew boats. I think it was standard with all navies to paint the lifeboats and motor boats in white to make them easier to find by search and rescue crews.

Brilliant work on the wood color. I'll be trying that same technique myself... I have a wooden railroad flatcar to do.

Thanks Mark, but, look at these photos ....boats don't look white anymore :vmad

h31e2b21.jpg

h1195c94.jpg

I am scratching the straps holding the boats on their stands, and I am going to paint them a very light shade of grey, like the superstructure. That makes more sense (I think).

2 straps per boat ... 11 boats ....joy !!!

Laurence

Very difficult to identify colors in a black and white photo, but, to me, they look like a very light camouflage gray, such as Testor's 4766, with white port window frames.

Just my guess!

Dontcha just love to scratch-build tiny things? :)

Just keep thinking Laurence, "This is great fun, This is great fun"! :)

Bob

Very difficult to identify colors in a black and white photo, but, to me, they look like a very light camouflage gray, such as Testor's 4766, with white port window frames.

Just my guess!

Dontcha just love to scratch-build tiny things? :)

Just keep thinking Laurence, "This is great fun, This is great fun"! :)

Bob

I agree Bob - that's the color in question - I am using Lifecolor UA604 Mittelgrau, Testor is not really available in Oz (as far as I know). I won't waste much time over that color - it is settled :D

I do absolutely LOVE scratching 1/200 scale thingies, who doesn't :v

As for the last bit, it really is great fun, I wonder what would have been like if this thing was 1/35th scale - would have had to buy a small hangar to build it ... imagine that, 1/35th scale Bismarck ...geez.

Now for some photos - the strapy bits first -

h1f34835.JPG

masking tape, copper wire and flattened aluminium wire (auto correct pissing me off ...it's ALUMINIUM, not ALUMINUM, ok ? :bat :bat :bat )

hfaec306.JPG

Done and painted - 2 down, 19 to go or something

hc5f3aca.JPG

This is the aft portion of the superstructure, showing the big hangar and the rails for the 4 x 11m launches. This whole thing was right behind the catapults. It's almost complete, only a few bits missing (4 guns and some range finders)

h7587cbd.JPG

The launches dry fitted - I had to glue some sprues to the boats temporarily so I could paint the hull without touching them.

he4550c6.JPG

Small hangar in the foreground with the boats on top.

h16b1fe8.JPG

Finally, the same with the knife in front, to give the viewer an idea on how small these things really are.

Thanks for watching,

Laurence

You build is looking astounding Laurence! It is making me want to go and start in on my Arizona again.

As to the photos being sideways. If you are using your phone to take the pics, the camera can get confused as to orientation as do weird rotation stuff. My old note 4 would do that on a regular basis. I always upload from my computer after tweaking the photos. That way I can make it look the best.

Back