• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Colossus-Building the Bismarck-Trumpeter 1/200th

I'm at a loss for words to express how incredible this is. Way to go and I wouldn't change a thing. That is very smart of you to keep it as is.

Moving right along - captain's gig and some other gigs - 4 in total that must be done.

Thinking of some variation, I made a start on the masts....yeah ...100% PE that is as opposed to plastic and PE.

h30c9453.JPG

That would be the catapult, all of it and two masts - one called Foremast and the other one Main mast. The main mast is the smaller one, just one segment of it for now.

h6198075.JPG

One of the gigs in question.

hcf449c0.JPG

Decks and stuff of some other gigs.

The squares on the mat are 1 cm each - that's a bit less than half an inch.

Thanks for looking

Laurence

Man, I'm overwhelmed! This is far and away higher quality and skill than I could ever dream of doing!

You are the Master! :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy (y)

Man, I'm overwhelmed! This is far and away higher quality and skill than I could ever dream of doing!

You are the Master! :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy (y)

Thanks Mark, once I got to stop not liking PE, it all became a lot easier :D

Now, for some more main mast. What a beast this thing is, a ton of PE and only one plastic part from the kit. Yep, only ONE plastic part.

h68d1670.JPG

This is one of the tiny platforms along the mast, 10 PE pieces in total.

hf66fdc5.JPG

This is the portion that sits at an angle - alignment and fiddly bits - 9 pieces in total :vmad

he827fdc.JPG

Trying to attach the bits and pieces with CA - I intend to have a few of them soldered for extra strength - ton of rigging coming up.

Thanks for watching,

Laurence

The trick to soldering tiny parts to each other is to pre-tin both parts. Then all you have to do is hold them together and heat them till the pre-tin flows and bonds. There are quite a number of soldering units available for around $100 that have the capability to solder with hot air. That will work with pre-tinning and solder paste.

Man, soldering thin brass on thick can be tricky, right Eric? :bang head

Good luck, looking sharp so far. (y)

Thanks MP, looking at some possible options - I don't have a soldering iron with a fine sharp tip, that's one problem. I don't want to make the joints too thick, sticking out ugly - that's another problem.

I am inclined to use two parts epoxy resin - a very small amount, around the joint, for that extra strength that is always good to have.

Laurence

Fantastic Laurence!

This is such a really cool build! It makes me want to build one! :)

(y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y)

Bob

Thanks Bob - do it :D

Won't be a huge dio either - Blohm & Voss shipyard, getting her fitted, late 1939 or something ....

h9b5400e.jpg

Imagine all the cranes, trains, trucks, cars, little people doing all sorts of things, buildings and all - I get carried away easily :geek

Laurence

The trick to soldering tiny parts to each other is to pre-tin both parts. Then all you have to do is hold them together and heat them till the pre-tin flows and bonds. There are quite a number of soldering units available for around $100 that have the capability to solder with hot air. That will work with pre-tinning and solder paste.

Thanks Paul - that's what I am trying to avoid, actually. It has to be a very realistic looking joint, have seen quite a few builds where they just dropped a lot of CA or tried soldering with not so good looking results. The more I think about it, the more I think that the epoxy resin might do the trick.

Laurence

Moving right along - more work on the main mast - actually it's done, except for priming - painting - weathering of course.

h9e70c00.JPG

Not the best photo either, will take some more later. 43 PE pieces on the fret, plus another 10 or so turned pieces. Room for improvement - there are some very small parts that appear to be much better in their plastic form, as the PE is too flat. Will see what it looks like when painted and weathered.

Once the main mast was done, I resumed working on the launches - here's three of them that will go on top of one hangar.

h9ab91ea.JPG

Each launch requires 20 PE parts, plus the plastic hull from the main kit.

Thanks for watching,

Laurence

Back