• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Cleaning up Resin Casts

tjgehling

Hey all, ran into a bit of a snag on a couple of new toys I got the other day... They are resin casts of buildings in 1:100 scale and seem to have a bit more of the release oils on them then usual, as they are extremely slimey to the touch...

Does anyone know of a good way to clean up casting oils from resin that won't destroy the resin itself?

I have tried old fashioned soap and water as well as soaking them for a few hours in "Simple Green." As the latter of the two is rather corrosive, I didn't want to leave it in there too long unless someone thinks that it would be ok...

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!

//Travis

I use rubbing alcohol and an old toothbrush and it seems to work for me.

It's fairly harmless, evaporates quickly and is fairly cheap.

:D

andyfettes wrote:
Acetone is also a good degreasant

You can normally find that at Pharmacies and in nail varnish remover

Hi there.

At the University of Guelph (Ontario, Canada)I learned that Acetone penetrates the skin barrier AND carries whatever it has dissolved into the body where it gets deposited. Therefore use EXTREME caution whenever you handle Acetone. Use rubber gloves when working with Acetone and use it ONLY under WELL VENTILATED conditions.

Cheers from Peter

yes thats right sorry I neglected to mention that

I used to use it when cleaning mold parts when I worked as a resin laminator

Cheers guys! I will try these out and get back to you as to how well they work... LOL. Thanks for the heads up on safety measures...

oven cleaner is also a good way to clean the oil and it does not harm your body unless your not drinking it :)

Back