• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Classic airframes Avro Anson Finished

Re: Classic airframes Avro Anson Mk1 1/48

Thanks guys :)

You will be pleased to know the inside fits in the outside :)

DSC_7756_zpse3c229be.jpg

The two fuselage halves join up and the seam on the top is easily sanded. I will need to scribe a few lines back.

The under side needs a good bit of filler, not to fill a gap but to fill a hollow

DSC_7757_zps3fd46f7c.jpg

The filler is quite thick so will need a while to set before it can be sanded.............so far so good (y)

That looks great, Paddy- cheers! How do you plan on pinning the wings on? :pilot

Pit looks great Paddy!

Glad to hear she fit in the fuselage ok. I've yet to tackle a CA kit and I hear they can be a bit of work!

Good to hear it fits. I am too aware that this fine point seems to sometimes be overlooked by manufacturers :idonno

Ready for more updates . Cheers, Christian B)

I would bet that the Annie would have been a fun flying bird.

That looks great, Paddy- cheers! How do you plan on pinning the wings on? :pilot

Do you not think a plastic weld glue will be strong enough to hold the wings without pinning ?

I think they'd pop off under a stern gaze with just glue. ;) I would definitely drill and pin. It's pretty easy to mark the centerline of the airfoil at the wing root and the fuselage stub. Drw two vertical lines on the stub, then tape or brace the wing in place. Mark the wing, top and bottom, to match those vertical lines on the fuse. Connect those dots on the wing root and drill for brass rod or tube pegs. Curse my name if they don't match up perfectly and fettle around until they do.

You can also measure from the leading and trailing edges with a compass- like this:

388_018.jpg

388_019.jpg

They didn't give anything to mount the wings to??? Dang! Send it to Chuck and let him mount the wings. :pilot

They didn't give anything to mount the wings to??? Dang! Send it to Chuck and let him mount the wings. :pilot

Now that's my candidate for the 'Well dispensed advice of the month' competition !! - Sorry that wasn't much help was it. :blush:

I had a similar but MUCH smaller problem when I built Eduards 1:48 Tempest. The stabilisers simply butt-join to the fuselage like a vac-form. So I glued the top/bottoms together left them a while and then drilled a pair of holes with a watch-makers drill & bit, inserted a pair of 'pins' cut from a paper clip and measured/drilled a pair of holes in the tail.

Perhaps instead of making the larger supports that Chuk used, maybe a series of smaller pins/holes would work.

Just a thought.

Ian

Thanks for your thoughts guys, unfortunately its not quite as straight forward as pins...

DSC_7759_zpsa487ba6a.jpg

I might have to build up some internal wing shape on the fuselage so they fit together

Maybe build some material up from the wing root, like a step?

Yea Bob thats what i was meaning by "build up some internal wing shape on the fuselage"
It will have to be a good fit to offer strength in which case it will need to be pretty accurate ..

I could just mount the top half of the wing, build up a good support on the wing root for it then mount the bottom half so all the weight is on the top half

Yea Bob thats what i was meaning by "build up some internal wing shape on the fuselage"

Well I knew it was a good idea...just wasn't sure where I heard it from. :coolio :rotf

I have a set of Flightpath PE flaps for this but they are not straight forward. the attachment points are large and heavy so its tricky to cut them without distorting the parts. Being a bit of a coward i have decided to try and build them before i start cutting the wings....lol.i like to leave a way back :)

DSC_7769_zpsd1a0a04f.jpg

The bottom of the fuselage is filled and lines scribed and ribs re applied with some thin plastic sheet

DSC_7760_zps6c43595b.jpg

Still a little touching up to do because i sat it down on the filler paint before it was dry :laugh:

Holes for windows have to be drilled

DSC_7761_zpsf1bcf83a.jpg

Even the wings will need to be cut to fit landing lights etc..this is back to basics but that is part of the fun :)

It's starting to look more and more like an airplane Paddy .

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one apprehensive of PE flaps . What are you using to assemble the small bits ?

Cheers, Christian B)

A little update

DSC_7772_zps9994ee77.jpg

Half a ton of filler added to front screen. PE flaps cut into wings. a huge amount of research done to try and establish the correct position for undercarriage legs. There are no fixing points or marks anywhere on this kit. A good example is the resin wing light (aerofoil section)at the front of the picture. This needs to be cut into the wing somewhere but there is not even a panel line to give a clue where to put it :) Looking at other builds on line I'm not even sure Brett Green got his undercarriage right :laugh:
While i am moaning the kit has a lot of options but nothing to say which options go with which so you could end up with a Johnny Cash, "I got it one piece at a time" version..you know ? its a 39-40 41 42...

This kit continues to walk the fine line between modelling table and bin under modelling table :)

It's starting to look more and more like an airplane Paddy .

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one apprehensive of PE flaps . What are you using to assemble the small bits ?

Cheers, Christian B)

Tweezers a small pool of CA on some cellotape stuck to the bench and witchcraft. Some hope, luck and blu-tak

I tend to stick very small PE pieces in place with some blu-tak but not on the edges i want to glue, then run a small amount of CA along the fix with a cocktail stick

Back