• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Can't win for losing

Big10

Had this awesome Spitfire build going and using quite a few resin printed stuff with our new printer.

Really hate the sizes of some of these paint bottles. Went to get some green out of a MRP bottle with a plastic pipette, misjudged the center of the hole and you can guess the rest of the story.

Before
IMG_20230208_195558_DRO~2.jpg
IMG_20230208_195706_DRO_copy_1600x1205.jpg

After. Just gonna have to let the paint dry and try to lightly sand it. Talk about a momentum killer
IMG_20230208_202604_DRO.jpg
IMG_20230208_202613_DRO.jpg
IMG_20230208_202622_DRO.jpg
IMG_20230208_202435415.jpg

I feel your pain brother....mine was mixing up those clear spirits when cleaning up a wash job.

Sorry to see this. Was looking like a beaut. I'm sure you'll be able to save it later after the frustration wears off.

I don't have a pic handy, but I took a scrap of 2x4 (6-8" long) and drilled 3 recesses w/ a spade bit to use as a bottle holder whenever I'm playing w/ MRP paints. Like you, I love the paints, but not a fan of the stability of the narrow, tall bottles. With the free scrap bottle holder though, it's become a non-issue. The first time I used them I totally saw myself dumping $8 worth of paint on the spray area cardboard and went looking for a cheap solution.

Oh now that sucks. I feel your pain. I did a Bf 109 once and when I went to dull coat it I had run out of my fav paint. Asked at store and was sold Tamiya dull coat. Painted whole model and it dried looking like it was dipped in baby powder. The store guy who assured me it was the right stuff admitted he actually didnt know that it was supposed to be added to clear coat and not used as is. LLive and learn. I like the paint bottle holder you made. I hope you are able to recover from this as she looks a beaut.
James

Oh, the flat base vs flat clear. I don't know anything about that....and I certainly didn't do the same thing on a certain Finnish BUK....:rolleyes:

As much of a pain in the can this is and as bad as you feel about it, it IS repairable.
One time MANY years ago I was working on a 1/72 WWII German float plane and didn't like how the paint turned out. I decided to strip the paint off. This was the 80's and the go-to was Easy-Off oven cleaner.
The paint came off and all the struts broke down and the build literally fell apart. I cleaned the parts off and put it in a box for about 6 months. Decided to see if I could do anything with it and this was the result.

He 51 float 1-72 20yr old.jpg

It earned a couple of first place awards and is still with me many years later.

:soldier on mate. As the others have said you can bring it back even better. I had to completely repaint my Fw190 right at the end of my Dragon and the Wolf project but it came out better than before.

As much of a pain in the can this is and as bad as you feel about it, it IS repairable.
One time MANY years ago I was working on a 1/72 WWII German float plane and didn't like how the paint turned out. I decided to strip the paint off. This was the 80's and the go-to was Easy-Off oven cleaner.
The paint came off and all the struts broke down and the build literally fell apart. I cleaned the parts off and put it in a box for about 6 months. Decided to see if I could do anything with it and this was the result.

View attachment 157218

It earned a couple of first place awards and is still with me many years later.
That's beautiful, Paul

Back