• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Build log 1:32 Tamiya F-15C with lots of goodies

New build 1:32 Tamiya F-15C with lots of goodies

I hate having this problem. I'd be interested in seeing what the colours look like next to each other when faded dramatically. Even if done uniformly.

I'm glad you're tackling this problem before I start in on my F-16.

Getting about time for an update eh? :popcorn

Yes, I suppose it is. It's been a hectic several weeks spent mostly away from the bench with family, 1:1 scale modelling and with the weather in canuckistan finally turning, a little bit of yard work.

First off, I don't think I've shown this, but this is the ever growing pile of tamiya parts that won't be used in the completion of this build.

hd18d224.jpg

That said, I got the intakes finished up. Rhino models do a helluva job with their resin, and it adds an awesome weight to the fuse. I painted the back half of the intakes white, let dry and did a subtle wash with Vallejo dirt and oily black. Just when I thought I hadn't used enough, I stopped! That was a victory in itself. I'm actually pretty happy with how it came out.

h680cb5e.jpg

Here's the intake set in the fuse. I set it in place, used about a metric tonne of Cyanoacrylate to hold it down and filled the very small resultant gap where I hogged out the intake in one of my first posts.

h274bd7c.jpg

I then turned my focus back to the 'pit, where I took care of bay 5. In this picture, you'll see well over 100 pieces of masking tape to separate the flat white from the FS 36231. I tried liquid mask (twice) and didn't like the results in this busy and cramped space, so I went to the old faithful route.

h31c15f7.jpg

After that, I sprayed!

h2ef8527.jpg

It came out well in my opinion. Since this photo was taken, I picked out all the knobs in flat black and NATO black. I still have the cabling to finish, and then washing and chipping.

I also decided I didn't like the molded in detail on the rear bulkhead of bay 5, so I built up a wire loom from thin gauge copper wire. In my opinion, it doesn't look bad now, but hopefully looks better after weathering.

h4111d3a.jpg

Onto the instrument panel. I used the laminated pieces from the Eduard set, and supplemented with the heat vent from the Wolfpack set and I'll also likely add in the updated screen from that set as well.
hfaba015.jpg

hf9d24c4.jpg

Anyways, as I promised myself over a month ago, I hope t have the pit stitched up soon. Then I can move onto the exterior. Sounds easy, right?!?!

As always, I welcome comments, critiques and suggestions.

I hate having this problem. I'd be interested in seeing what the colours look like next to each other when faded dramatically. Even if done uniformly.

I'm glad you're tackling this problem before I start in on my F-16.

I plan on having a series of colour test spoons with paint gradients to help ease the decision. It's a pain regardless.

hf9d24c4.jpg

As always, I welcome comments, critiques and suggestions.

Best IP I've seen for a long time. Bravo Zulu, sir.

Ian.

Fantastic IP (y)

Luiz

Nailed it!

Thanks guys, I wish I could take all the credit, but the IP was pre-painted from Eduards set. I still have to chip it up a bit to make it my own, but if you are ever building a kit that Eduard has done this for, I highly reccomend it.

Yeah but you got it sandwiched in there without big giant glue blobs like some people I know. :blush: :unsure: :D

Are you done yet?

Okay, I haven't been able to accomplish anything either.

So here we go. I'm married with two kids; so what do I do on a rousing Saturday night? I put the kids to bed, have a glass of wine with SWMBO and go to the bench. I sure know how to party. (y)

Tonight was a decent night at the table, I managed to get a lot done, but I know I haven't done a proper update in a few weeks, so this may get a bit out of hand.

A few months ago, a good friend of mine brought over some old junky Lionel train parts for a strip and a repaint.
h5c1e53a.jpg

h9523918.jpg

That's how I got them (at New Years, cough). As of now I've stripped, primed and intend all the parts; and they're curing awaiting a clear and final assembly. I just needed a mental break from all this photoetch assembly, and it provided a welcome one. I'll post some final follow up pictures when I'm done.

h1ae3d0b.jpg

But back to the scheduled programming. As you saw in the last update, I was almost ready for the wash and assembly of the 'pit. Well, Wednesday night saw me get the wash and Q-tips out to take care of bay 5 and the main office.

This is what it looked like after the wash had dried.

h17e4fdf.jpg

h6b7c372.jpg

With the aftermath.

he27ac41_2015-04-25.jpg

h9692d47.jpg

hee7ce63.jpg

hb1fc8f9.jpg

Eduard had you laminate the instrument panel with various pieces of photoetch, and add handles and knobs in the final step. Those sick, sadistic bastards.

h3ae997a.jpg

h4a9b5ae.jpg

Looks pretty good though, in my opinion.

Finally! I'm ready to out the whole thing together, so in an odd turn of events, I actually took some parts, and glued them together!

Well, it looks like there's a limit of 12 pictures per reply, but I'm not done yet!

h277ba95.jpg

hb2bf4e0.jpg

That's the updated Wolfpack part. I'm only going to install it temporarily right now so I'll chip it up later.

h355d23f.jpg

This is a 30 year old airframe, so I used a fairly heavy hand with the wash on the nose gear bay. It will also be modelled with the doors closed, as is typical on the F-15, so I didn't spend too much time here.

hd028a8a_2015-04-25.jpg

hd028a8a.jpg

ha9e4624.jpg

Ejection seat painted. I'm not happy with the seat pad, so I will go over it with a more tan tinted O.D. Then chip and dull cote. Since it's not going to be installed until the final step,I've got some time.

Finally, I closed her up!

h146bf2d.jpg

h79ea9c0.jpg

I'll do a final dull cote later.

I think that's it's for now. I've passed a major milestone, but there's still a long way to go. As always, comments, concerns, and constructive criticism are welcome.

Back