• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Betty Bomber takes to the skies again Done!

Betty Bomber takes to the skies again.

Those are beat up birds for sure Christian . Interesting how much chipping is evident on the Betty's but that Gekko seems to be in really good shape. Wonder if that is right after the end of the war. (y)

This group ( there's another picture ) were at found at the end of the war at Yokosuka AB .

There is a mixture of late Judie's Irving's and Bettie's and one lone Myrt .

The Myrt looks spotless with the Irving's looking pretty good.

The Betty's and the Judy's are looking pretty rough.

My best guess is

The Irving was produced for B-29 interceptions so I don't know how much flight time they actually got .

The Betty's ( which are late types ) flew on long distance raids which might accounts for some of that wear and tear .

I can't say why the Judy's look so beat up though .

Anyhow, I'm not convinced that the Japanese paint did all that well under the tropical skies and coral runways .

There's also the rumors of paint shortages , so they might not have received the prescribed paint coats late in the war. :idonno

Cheers, Christian B)

Anyhow, I'm not convinced that the Japanese paint did all that well under the tropical skies and coral runways .

I was going to ask about that, think I had read that the harsh environment had a lot to do with how beat up they looked.

I'm calling this one done. Completely painted in Tamiya Paint. A combination of Tamiya XF-11 IJN Green and XF-64 Red Brown. I also used some Moskit exhaust and Techmod Decals. The decals are very thin and fragile. As you can see I had a slight mishap with the fuselage hinomaru while I was masking for the tail stripes. But I figured it makes it look more weathered. The guns are a combination of Vector and CMK stuff. Also threw in some Eduard pe for good measure. To be honest hardly any of the aftermarket is even visible now.

IMG_7636.JPG

IMG_7637.JPG

IMG_7638.JPG

IMG_7640.JPG

IMG_7641.JPG

IMG_7642.JPG

IMG_7643.JPG

IMG_7644.JPG

IMG_7645.JPG

IMG_7646.JPG

IMG_7647.JPG

IMG_7650.JPG

IMG_7651.JPG

IMG_7652.JPG

The cigar came out quite nice . The exhaust is the cat's meow though . (y) (y) (y)

Cheers, Christian B)

Those are beat up birds for sure Christian . Interesting how much chipping is evident on the Betty's but that Gekko seems to be in really good shape. Wonder if that is right after the end of the war. (y)

This group ( there's another picture ) were at found at the end of the war at Yokosuka AB .

My best guess is

The Irving was produced for B-29 interceptions so I don't know how much flight time they actually got .

The Betty's ( which are late types ) flew on long distance raids which might accounts for some of that wear and tear .

There's also the rumors of paint shortages , so they might not have received the prescribed paint coats late in the war. :idonno

Cheers, Christian B)

In late 1943, early 1944 some factories stopped using primer. Large aircraft, like the Betty, were some of the first to see this simplified process. About this same time some factories only applied the camouflage colours to the upper surface leaving the underside natural metal. It seems that only the areas were the hinomaru were applied were properly primed and painted and why they don't seem to exhibit as much peeling. The elimination of primer was a progressive thing and did not occur at all factories or on all aircraft types. Some received the full, specified process until the war's end and why we see the variation in paint conditions.

Cheers,
Rich

I like the scuffing on the paint job. Exhaust are indeed very nice. Great job Ryan! (y) (y) (y)

I'm calling this one done. Completely painted in Tamiya Paint. A combination of Tamiya XF-11 IJN Green and XF-64 Red Brown. I also used some Moskit exhaust and Techmod Decals. The decals are very thin and fragile. As you can see I had a slight mishap with the fuselage hinomaru while I was masking for the tail stripes. But I figured it makes it look more weathered. The guns are a combination of Vector and CMK stuff. Also threw in some Eduard pe for good measure. To be honest hardly any of the aftermarket is even visible now.

IMG_7636.JPG

IMG_7637.JPG

IMG_7638.JPG

IMG_7640.JPG

IMG_7641.JPG

IMG_7642.JPG

IMG_7643.JPG

IMG_7644.JPG

IMG_7645.JPG

IMG_7646.JPG

IMG_7647.JPG

IMG_7650.JPG

IMG_7651.JPG

IMG_7652.JPG

fantastic job Ryan. :dude

I love the chipping around the panel lines. how did you pull that off?

Thanks guys. Bob, for the chipping I used a combination of wood toothpicks and a metal dental pick. I just ran them around the panel lines in a random manner until I achieved the look I wanted. Just make sure you don't push to hard or you will end up scribing the lines deeper. As for the scuffing I just sanded the top layer of paint until the aluminum primer was showing through.

My best guess is

Cheers, Christian B)

In late 1943, early 1944 some factories stopped using primer. Large aircraft, like the Betty, were some of the first to see this simplified process. About this same time some factories only applied the camouflage colours to the upper surface leaving the underside natural metal. It seems that only the areas were the hinomaru were applied were properly primed and painted and why they don't seem to exhibit as much peeling. The elimination of primer was a progressive thing and did not occur at all factories or on all aircraft types. Some received the full, specified process until the war's end and why we see the variation in paint conditions.

Cheers,
Rich

I also read that they were were running out of paint late in the war and only painted under the Himomaru's as exemplified by the late Zero's .

This is an early Betty though , so none of this probably applies . :idonno

Back