• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

All Righty ... What's on the bench today?

While I was at our local museum last weekend talking to one of our members, he gave me a started AMT 48 scale Beech 17 Staggerwing that he couldn't sell in the gift shop. Not a bad little kit for its age, the cowling was obviously incorrect and missing the lower section but otherwise it was a sound little kit.

I took it home, cleaned up the interior and re-painted it as best I could and finished assembling it. I should have a few decals in the spares box to fix it up.

IMG_4148.JPG

Nice of you to rescue the Staggerwing, Warren. Dark red with black trim? It's really an airplane that looks best modeled in flight, I think.

What's on the bench? A mess, clutter. Good thing is that we get Thursday off of work, I work four 10 hour days and this is one of those holidays we don't lose. So Thursday is cleaning day!

What's on the bench? A mess, clutter. Good thing is that we get Thursday off of work, I work four 10 hour days and this is one of those holidays we don't lose. So Thursday is cleaning day!

Need to do that myself!

Nice of you to rescue the Staggerwing, Warren. Dark red with black trim? It's really an airplane that looks best modeled in flight, I think.

Actually John I was thinking I might do this in a US navy scheme

nice helicopter. does anyone know if there is a kit of a sea sprite or sea bat? they flew those off ESSEX when I was aboard.

EJ

A little less of a mess after a good cleaning and filling one of the trash cans. Gonna hit it again Friday and see if I can get everything wrapped up and start building again.

Finally got a chance to put the new airbrush through it's trial run. I think it's time to retire my Iwatas. I grabbed a Tammy V1, Extra Thin Quick, built and sprayed.

I basecoated with the .4mm needle/nozzle, then swapped out for the .15 for the mottling. Sprayed like a dream.

Vallejo, very thin @ 8PSI.

I jumped on a 4th of July sale, been looking at these Harder and Steenbecks for a while, I'm glad I did. It's very well engineered, but what interested me was the cleaning. The nozzle, aircap is a unit they call an airhead and it comes off easily for cleaning. This allows you to pull the needle through the front, so you don't drag paint back into the brush. It also allows them to be swapped easily, so a needle change takes seconds.

the .15mm allowed me to get the finest lines I ever have with an airbrush.
v1b.jpg
v1a.jpg

Back