• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Airfix P-40 Oiled up

Interesting feature . Maybe there is hope for engineers :good:

Cheers, Christian B)

Very good one!

Airfix has some neat Engineering in their kits to be sure. A real improvement from where they were fer-sher

Ps have fun CT. Not a bad state, and cooler than here, temp-wise

You've been reading my mind... I have the Tomahawk on the bench... simply looking at it at the moment. Nice to know how quickly it comes together.

Regards,

You've been reading my mind... I have the Tomahawk on the bench... simply looking at it at the moment. Nice to know how quickly it comes together.

Regards,
I didn't put a lot of thought into which kit, just wanted something in the OD/NG scheme and this was on the shelf at hobbylobby.
Besides, how can we resist a sharkmouth? :D

Regards,
I didn't put a lot of thought into which kit, just wanted something in the OD/NG scheme and this was on the shelf at hobbylobby.
Besides, how can we resist a sharkmouth? :D

By building a Curtiss Hawk perhaps :rotf

Cheers, Christian B)

h8e24922.jpg

Not exactly OD...I'm going to mix up some yellow ocher and black to get OD.

Thanks Frank, totally wrong color for early war OD but this might help.
Got some fresh Windsor Newton oils.

Started with mixing black and yellow ochre
h46fbf78.jpg

Built it up thick
h4d72139.jpg

And then a dry brush to work the brush strokes, that's when it got really interesting.
h09fb78f.jpg

check out how the ailerons are highlighted. :coolio

Yeah, but look at the brush streak :woohoo: How do you plan on making that go away :idonno

Cheers, Christian B)

I know, I'm just doing something different. Of course this depends on me actually having some artistic talent.

Well not so good. Didn't pass the first night test, these Winsor Newton colors are just to translucent to cover. Plasmo makes mention of this early in the video. Once I get the brush strokes gone the color is so light you see the primer. I'm going to Michaels today to see if they have any other colors, if not, will order online.

What a difference a brush and paint makes.

h9dc3d41.jpg

So the paint is Artist (HA) grade, I've been getting the student grade stuff. Notice the black spot, that tells you how opaque the paint is.

The brush I got is a Mop, looks like the bigger the better but it takes a light touch, which I don't have.

h7d33b08.jpg

he385b57.jpg

Mix and apply with the stiffer brush.

h3708cb3.jpg

Then I blended with the flat soft brush that left strokes galore.

h7f263b2.jpg

The result of mopping it up. Not airbrush finished but I think I can polish it up some more when it dries out a bit more. I didn't use the quick dry thinner so this may take a while.

Do you have Dremel variable speed you can put a polish wheel on. May be able to low seed polish brush strokes out.

Back