• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

AIRFIX 1/72 Bf 110 C-2

getting to some decals. I've read that Airfix decals are hard to work with. But I really didn't find them to be difficult at all. The only ones to give me any fight was the two piece sharks mouth around the nose. Well no kidding! A slew of compound curves will make any decal a pain in the toucas. But in all honesty it wasn't so bad. I floated it on with water and did some nudging with a brush and then layed on very generous coats of CHAMPS and let it work it's magic. I have a little touch up to do on the bottom where the two halves meet, but I think a swipe with some red paint will fix that. So far I've had no issues with the other decals. The major markings are all on, but there is still a ton of little stencils and such to apply, maybe tomorrow I'll get to some of these.

Just some quick pictures..... sorry the quality isn't too good.

Bf%20110%20011_1.jpg

Bf%20110%20005_1.jpg

Bf%20110%20009_1.jpg

Bf%20110%20002_1.jpg

Bf%20110%20001_2.jpg

Bf%20110%20003_1.jpg

Thanks everyone!
if I can get the bathtub to drain....I'll be jumping back on the decals today. I'll put up a pic or two to let you in on what I'm headed into. Maintenance stencils in 1/72 are almost microscopic. One of these days I have to invest in an Opti-visor!! :blink

Bf%20110%20001_3.jpg

Bf%20110%20002_2.jpg

Thats the tip of my exacto knife as a reference.

Update! Bathtub still not draining well but not totally blocked......I did get to work at the bench and here's were we are at the end of the day. Gonna let everything get good and dry and then seal it all up.
Bf%20110%20003_2.jpg

Bf%20110%20002_3.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Get that cheap drain cleaner from Lowes that comes in a heavy plastic bag to keep from leaking. Cleaned ours right out, then take a snake to it to get all that gunk out. (y)

Great decals, you can even read them. :popcorn

Thanks Bob. Trouble is the drain line for the tub is the only one left in the house that was not replaced with PVC. We would have to tear open the ceiling of the den to access it. The previous owners opted not to do that. I'm going to try a power auger snake, and if that doesn't fix it..... down comes the ceiling. Hell, the house is 90 years old and it's original to the house. Galvanized iron and full of mineral build up. Cross your fingers.

Back on topic: Yes the decal sheet is very impressive. Too bad the black lettering washes out on top of the RLM 70. I'm thinking it would be a waste of time to do all the stencils seeing how they won't show up once on the model. Even the red lettering is nearly invisible. I'll wait and see how these dry down, and proceed from there.

EDIT: The tub drains!!! :ro: :ro: 2 gallons of vinegar 2 gallons of boiling water and a can of Drano crystals, has done the trick. DO NOT MIX this stuff is dangerous!! Hours between each treatment just to prevent an explosion of chemicals in my face. Still going to auger, but I have a little breathing room now.

The smart thing would be to call a plumber but I'm a cheap s.o.b.

Man, I aint seen that many stencils on an aircraft before!! :huh: Yep, an Optivisor is a good investment, especially when dealing with itty-bitty pe & decals... :good:

Gladta hear ya got your tub to drain again! Good ol' hot water with vinegar once a month helps with the build up in them iron pipes...

Man, I aint seen that many stencils on an aircraft before!! :huh:

You must have missed the decaling stage of my F-4 Phantom. I had almost twice as many stencils to do on that.

Dollar, your Me-110 is looking fantastic. I've always loved that plane for some reason; maybe it's the nostalgia from the first two I built as a kid. I'm really enjoying this thread.

Man, I aint seen that many stencils on an aircraft before!! :huh:

You must have missed the decaling stage of my F-4 Phantom. I had almost twice as many stencils to do on that.

Dollar, your Me-110 is looking fantastic. I've always loved that plane for some reason; maybe it's the nostalgia from the first two I built as a kid. I'm really enjoying this thread.

I musta missed it Mark. :facepalm

Sometime around the time the E model was introduced, the stenciling was drastically reduced. For what reason I don't know.

Back