• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Airfix 1/12 Bentley blower FINISHED

this weekend I added an advance/retard mechanism to the magneto's
the car has two mags one each side and they are linked by a cross shaft. there will be a control rod going back to the bulkhead once i sort out where the steering shaft goes so i can miss it with the rod ;-)

DSC_2406.JPG

DSC_2405.JPG

Next step will be to fit some proper mesh to the radiator

DSC_2407.JPG

Then i will do a bit of a round up here as the thread is getting a bit disjointed as i keep going off on tangents :)

Last edited:
The side with the conduit will have the exhaust manifold fitted right next to the plugs so the wires are channeled to stop them flapping about and burning on the manifold. :)

Only thing I see Paddy is that there needs to be a bit of a wash on the engine and transmission cases to give some definition. Other than that it is looking outstanding.

Yes 100% agree Paul, I will add that as a final touch though as i have lots of other extras to add first, i was thinking an oil wash with humbrol over these Tamiya colours but i may go for MIG as i have a better range of colours i have been stock piling for my 1/35 Grant interior i am still thinking about.as next project.
there is also way to much brass here so some black paint needed, the alloy castings are way to good but that's just the nature of the kit.

Well as predicted by some the chrome turned black after a few days. Having searched the net for a solution i am told its all down to spray pressure, i suppose the excess pressure dries the Alclad too quickly before it settles out on the surface., one thing every one agrees is don't lacquer it or you will lose the finish.

Airfix bentley 125 18521 (3).JPG

I have now resprayed it at a lower pressure (5psi) to see what happens

This is the radiator core
Airfix bentley 125 18521 (2).JPG

And sprayed black, the mesh i used is alloy self coloured

Airfix bentley 125 18521 (4).JPG

Airfix bentley 125 18521 (8).JPG

The rad surround was resprayed

Airfix bentley 125 18521 (7).JPG

and loosely assembled while i wait to see if the chrome survives another week

Airfix bentley 125 18521 (9).JPG

And a quick round up of where i am

Airfix bentley 125 18521 (5).JPG

Airfix bentley 125 18521 (6).JPG

My little P-47 had a base coat of Alclad gloss black. Then I sprayed Alclad chrome over that. Then some other aluminum colors in various spots. Had no problems with the paint at all. Might be because it is a different formulation on the black paint as you said yours was Tamiya.

Still looking good Paddy!

Man!! This build is looking specacular!!! Your Alclad skills look great as well as your fabrication abilities. As an alternative I have sprayed Molotow through an airbrush and sealed it with Spaztix Ultimate Chrome Clear and had some good results. You've just gotta let the Molotow dry for a couple of days before applying the clear.

The wheels on my Demon II '56 F-100

EEQB0o.jpg

today i added the steering column, The rod for the steering and the rod for the advance retard on the magneto's which is the cranked one with the adjuster nuts to the bulk head.
On sat i went down to the local model shop and bought some alloy tube.

I made a new one of these as the plastic one looked ...well like plastic really..

DSC_2418.JPG

and here it is with the other parts fitted today

DSC_2420.JPG

Back