• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Airfix 1/12 Bentley blower FINISHED

paddy

Blimey...bit dark and dusty down here in the civil section :)

719btG4nt3L._AC_SL1200_.jpg

And this is what we are aiming for

11354834.jpg

So here we are, 45 years on from its original release when Airfix ruled the modelling world, the Blower Bentley is back in 1/12 form. Now moulded in Grey plastic rather than the original green (and better for it) it’s just as I remember it. Detail is good for its age and there is just enough for the modeler in 1975 but will it be enough today for that same modeler as he approaches 60 years young and a couple of decades of Tamiya super kits and WnW perfection?

Well, there are two ways of looking at this, a lack of original detail means you have a blank canvas with no blobs and indents to cut off or fill if you want to detail up, however it does mean you need a pile of reference to see what should be where and what it looked like.

Personally, I think this model will build into a very presentable display from the box but the opportunity to super detail is endless, so it works for both camps. I myself will probably come down somewhere between the two adding detail that will be seen but not going as far as trying to get 1930’s air in the tyres. 😊

First thing I notice is the spru have letters but these letters are not called out in the instructions, just numbers, so while part1 might be on spru A… part 2 might be on sprue B so you will have to hunt for it…then I notice there are no or very few locating pins or tabs so alignment of parts will be done by eye.

This is a big model, about 14” long, or about 36cm in some foreign lingo, I have attacked one of these big Bentleys twice before over 30 years ago and failed miserably so now its time to see if I have learned anything since then or if this thing can still reduce me to a quivering wreck 😊

starting with the engine, this is a big lump about 3" tall. the front over head cam drive is by a shaft and bevel gear which is in a housing at the front that should be separate from the cylinder block so first job is to open the gap up
DSC_2171.JPG
DSC_2175.JPG

Because the engine is basically 2 parts with the manifold moulded in things like the block, barrels front bevel tube and manifold which are all different colours which will have to be masked off and painted rather than painted separately and added as you would normally do.
Quite a bit of forward planning.

Last edited:
Agreed Saul, probably because the model was out of production for so many years, i remember at the time it was thought to be a pretty advanced and ambitious model for 1975.

I decided to continue with the engine so i gave it a coat of flat aluminium
DSC_2185.JPG

As you can see the inlet manifold is moulded in to the cylinder block and i wanted to make it look like separate part so decided to experiment with Alclad. first thing i did was to cut the spark plugs off, i can add them again later but removing them makes for slightly easier masking

DSC_2192.JPG

I used Alclads own black base and TBH i am not overly impressed but it is my first attempt so maybe i don't have the knack yet. Masking is by Tamiya tape and humbrol maskol

DSC_2196.JPG

Followed by a top alclad coat, i used chrome knowing that i hadn't done any prep so i would get a shinny metal finish rather than chrome.

Moment of truth................did my masking work ??

DSC_2198.JPG

Yes i can live with that, after all its an engine not chrome trim. I need to make some spark plugs now...i thought i could just buy some resin ones but no one has them over here and importing is very slow and expensive now with covid.

A note about this engine Alloy, overhead cam, 4 valves a cylinder and twin plugs per cylinder and all 1929 !!!

Doing the research on these cars. They were LeMans winners. Entered by the factory but the cars were privately owned by their drivers, each was different with different tuning and performance, owners basically did what they wanted. I think Bentley made about 50 of these, they were built as chassis with engines then the buyer would send it to a coachworks who would design a body to your spec. Some are 2 door, some 4 door, some soft top some hard , some boat tail and basically no 2 were the same. this gives a bit of leeway for people like me as their really is no hard and fast rules here when building a model

Hi Mike
Yes but actually the airfix box is wrong in that the picture is racing green but the cars were "British green" as the one in the real picture.
Bentleys that raced later along with Jags ,lotus, mini's etc right up to modern day were British racing green but the early stuff was a very dark green.

Well i spent most of the week trying to get the chrome off the water pipe

DSC_2215.JPG

after trying Oven cleaner, caustic soda, spirits of salts, i ended up 3 days in Bleach and got this

DSC_2226.JPG

It was really still not what i was after. I had hoped there would be more definition to the moulding without a thick coat of chrome but i put a coat of black on it and it looked worse than ever.
so now i am making one, its very small and rather out of my comfort zone but i think it will look better when its finished.DSC_2228.JPG DSC_2230.JPG

I am pleased with this

DSC_2233.JPG

As i say this has twin plug heads so there are plugs both sides. That means 2 magneto's. the plug lead this side are visable but the other side

DSC_2232.JPG

the leads are in conduit to keep them away from the Exhaust manifold. So you need to construct the conduit. The kit doesn't even reckon on you fitting leads so conduit is not included in the kit

Also now fitted my water pipe which runs from the radiator headed tank to drillings in the head. Looks much better that the plastic chrome job :)

DSC_2180.JPG
DSC_2211.JPG

Back