• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Airfix 1/12 Bentley blower FINISHED

I had a Matchbox Bentley when I was just a lad... Loved it and always wanted a real one. Then I got stationed in the UK and saw how much a real one cost... I stuck with the Fiesta.

It is really looking GREAT Paddy! You are making it look easy. (and I know it is challenging you a bit) Keep up the awesome work and you will have something to be really proud of!

minion-woohoo.gif

That shade of Green certainly looks correct and authentic. Yes, quite so. :lol:
The Bentley will be a tough act to follow.

Nice progress, Paddy.

I suspect the radiator chrome issue has to do with the underlying paint. Now that it is glued on it might be hard to do more with, but it looks real good to me.

strangely i gave the rad several heavy coats of Alclad chrome before i fitted it which gave it a shiny silver rather than chrome effect which was fine as it wouldn't have been chrome anyway in 1930. within days areas of this new coat went black as the gloss black undercoat appears to bleed back to the surface so you could well be right in that its a base coat issue.. The problem was i couldn't get on with the cellulose Alclad gloss black base coat which is ready thinned and was too thin for my gun i think.

Nobody can get on with that stuff. My favorite undercoat is a gloss dark blue, but a rubbed out flat dark blue also works well and the drying time is a lot less.

Looking great Paddy!

Gotta ask what you mean by, "the leather body..."????
The body on these ie: the cab, was a very thin alloy sheet with a stitched stretched leather cover over a wood frame.

You can see it here with the piping round the dash and the join in the middle
This one seems to be the same colour as the metalwork but often the leather was a shade lighter

11354843.jpg

download.png

Last edited:
Not a great amount happening here but i now have a spare wheel and a pair of headlights. I remade the horns in brass but they are bit domineering so i may paint them green. After a ton of work and test fitting and trimming i am now happy with the hood fit to the body and Rad.

I have to say my interest in this is waning fast as it is now fighting me all the way but this kit has defeated me twice before over 50 years since it launch and its not going to do it again. :) My mind is already far busier thinking about the next build than this one.
Last picture without mudguards....

DSC_2861.JPG

Hang in there Paddy, like you've said, there's been dozens started but you haven't seen any finished. Git'er done mate! :mpup

At this point, it isn't easy to tell which picture is of your model and which picture is of the the real thing. My hat is off to you, Sir!
Absolutely astounding bit of model making, that. :salute::notworthy

At this point, it isn't easy to tell which picture is of your model and which picture is of the the real thing. My hat is off to you, Sir!
Absolutely astounding bit of model making, that. :salute::notworthy

have to agree with Chris here, that looks freakin' amazing!! keep at it!

Thanks for explaining the leather body! I had no idea! Such a weird concept to cover a car in leather on the outside!

Back