• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Air Pressure Regulator

moon puppy

Administrator
Staff member
I'm building out my compressor lines, first trap and regulator is on site
1695055989574.png

This is not in place now, I'm pulling a mulligan after finding multiple leaks even after initial leak test passed.
Anyway, this is a nice one but the gauge is really small and I want another at the bench where the air feed is for the airbrush. This unit only starts working at about 15-20 psi because the water trap spring.
I'm only seeing gauges that go up to 200 or so. Are their any fine tune gauges out there or do I just get another mid range and dial it in close enough.

Yeah I got several options for that type James.

BTW, this is what the regulator looks like now.
1695083229834.png

I'll put a flange around that hole to clean it up. Level? It looked level before I took that picture. Must be lens flare... :rotf

What's your max pressure from the air compressor Bob ? Some tire pressure gages come with nice big faces . Pretty easy to find.
Also , you could look here . SprayGunner .

Sorry. it was really not a response about regulators . It was a reply about big face low pressure gage . You almost need to buy items separately to make a good system .

Thanks Chris, I'm probably putting too much thought into this, I never did dial in low pressures before. Today's dedicated to git'er done on the compressor!

You may find with pressure and water black iron gas pipe rusts on the inside. Black Iron has the the same oily goo on the inside as it does on the outside.
Galvanized (silver) cast iron pipe does not.
Better yet, get some plumbing nut to solder up copper pipe and fittings for your air supply.
Air is full of water.

Thanks Chris. I've really only got about 2 feet of black pipe here and that's what's penetrating the wall. My trap is just inside so if I see it rusting up quickly I'll likely rework it. From here on out it's the Rapidair product.
It was blackpipe at the old place and it was in place for probably 15 years before I took over, never had a problem with it.

Finished.

1695592817190.png

1695599291099.png

Yep the pressure gauge is sideways but I can read it better than the 1/4 inch one. Will apply pressure tomorrow.

Last edited:
Clearly, whatever advice I might offer about your cool, leak-free air supply is unnecessary. Well done, young 'Pup! :Drinks::vgood:

No you're not wrong, I notice the gas pipe going to the furnace was very rusted. Nice thing about the Maxline stuff is it's not difficult to disconnect and change things. I only have a 12" and 8" black pipe section that could be replaced with the pipe of your choice. I'd probably do galvanized as you advised.

Back