• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

AFV M109A2 Doher Or how to Overcomplicate a Model!

iambrb

So I got this last Christmas, and thought I’d give it a go:

AFV M109A2 Doher, with aftermarket tracks and Legend Resin kit

UQvZu8Z.jpg

Every time I build in AFV kit, I am reminded to never buy another AFV kit!

The detail is really there, but WOW does it comes at a price! The bathtub type lower hull & suspension were simple, but the Upper portion of the lower hull? Different story. it was in FIVE different pieces, with only one reference line to line everything up! Really very unnecessarily difficult. All the bits and bobs you see, like hinges, covers, and handles are individual pieces, each smaller than a grain of rice.

O7dNXrq.jpg

Note this handle, of which there are 5 or 6. As an example this one is beside a brand new sharpie and with a standard staple, and finally on the model.

ZgkeH6f.jpg

jREVONT.jpg

s5aJhXK.jpg

So what you see there, jut for the part I'm whining about represents nearly 8 hours time, and the fun has just started

Good start there BRB!!! :vgood: You do have to wounder was the kit makers are thinking sometimes. :smack:

You have a lot more patience than I do. All of those small parts are insane. With the way I have been dropping things lately while working on figures, I would probably drop some of those really small pieces and they would never be found again. My hat is off to you for undertaking this project.

No carpet in my house. The hobby "SHOP" is porcelain tile, and I have an old drafting brush that was for sweeping off eraser stubble. It is about a foot long and works quite well at sweeping crap into a pile on the floor. I also don't have a lot of "stuff" sitting on the floor and that helps a lot as well.

No carpet in my house. The hobby "SHOP" is porcelain tile, and I have an old drafting brush that was for sweeping off eraser stubble. It is about a foot long and works quite well at sweeping crap into a pile on the floor. I also don't have a lot of "stuff" sitting on the floor and that helps a lot as well.
Almost all work you see is from my kitchen table. There is a small amount of work at Moon Pups place, but he only takes me is small batches

All airbrush work done s from the porch

Well this is where it currently sits. The Barrel Cradle and the rear spades are complete yet separate till I paint. The white on some of the wheels is Tamiya putty, as the tire part of the road wheels are two
Pieces!

Also worth mentioning are the tracks. Those are the kit bands. The separate links I bought hold via friction ONLY. Four per link, 80 links per side, that’s 320 bits per track side that you are supposed to build, fit, then adhesive glue in place…….Yeah Right! I had an honest 4 hours in and more than 3 unsuccessful attempts to fit when I decided to go with the bands. I had both fitted and glued as you see in less than 45
Minutes!

Attachments

• IMG_6459.jpeg
    IMG_6459.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_6461.jpeg
    IMG_6461.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_6458.jpeg
    IMG_6458.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 25
I do think over engineered kits are worth the trouble. I am just not up to that. On the bench is a Tamiya tank from the motorized days and an Italeri Opel Blitz. This thread has made me an expert in tweezers.

The detail in this kit is ‘Off Da Chain’, if that’s your thing. To that end here’s a great example. You can see a series of pics showing the hinges on the turret side doors. One pic shows the hatch with only one hinge installed, then the hinge part along with a grain of rice, followed by how
It looks totally installed. Detail is great but WOW do ever pay the price for it!
IMG_6678.jpeg
IMG_6680.jpeg
IMG_6681.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
So now for an AFV rant. This kit has multiple sprues with the same Letter-Number!!!
There are THREE separate letter series with this issue so wow do you ever spend a crap ton of time shifting thru sprues!

Attachments

• IMG_6675.jpeg
    IMG_6675.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_6676.jpeg
    IMG_6676.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 22
OK one last bit regarding detail. If you’ve built an AFV kit you know that the plastic is fairly brittle, especially when you consider the small size of the parts shown. Again there is a grain of rice as comparison and the final installed part. The detail is fantastic but as stated it comes as a price

So here we are. More to come!
IMG_6682.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_6683.jpeg
    IMG_6683.jpeg
    498.7 KB · Views: 24
Back