• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

AFV M109A2 Doher Or how to Overcomplicate a Model!

Rice, Salt...point is made. Crazy part detail for sure. You're doing great with it now put the rice back in the pot for supper!
:soldier

Rice, Salt...point is made. Crazy part detail for sure. You're doing great with it now put the rice back in the pot for supper!
:soldier
ok so since you asked MP, here it is, my Butter Curry. I’m telling ya it’s restaurant quality!

Attachments

• IMG_6687.jpeg
    IMG_6687.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 24
So with this I bought the Legend IDF M109 resin set. Here I have it ‘placed’ with tape to see how it looks. I think for the from turret bustles I’ll have to remove those lift rings (darn it. I really liked those) but overall it does make for a nice look. Whaddaya think?

Attachments

• IMG_6692.jpeg
    IMG_6692.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_6693.jpeg
    IMG_6693.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_6696.jpeg
    IMG_6696.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_6695.jpeg
    IMG_6695.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_6694.jpeg
    IMG_6694.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 20
Soooooo… I just can’t leave well enough alone! I could have gone with the resin pieces as shown I n those above pics. But truth is, they are actually for an earlier IDF M109. The version I’m building has a huge generator and also an equally large rear basket. At the same time, I Really liked the way the tarp hung off the rear of the vehicle, so I dee-cided to install all that and then grind the resin to fit. Note that the basket is 8 individual rib/pieces that must be fitted. This alone added more than 2 hours time
Nothing on the rear glued as yet. So for fill and some camo work I used some Value Gear to fill spots in. It’s looking nice but I’m taking a frustration break atm, listening to some easy Jazz

Attachments

• IMG_6709.jpeg
    IMG_6709.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_6710.jpeg
    IMG_6710.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_6711.jpeg
    IMG_6711.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_6712.jpeg
    IMG_6712.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_6713.jpeg
    IMG_6713.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 23
Whelp…it appears this ain’t the most
Popular subject here, but it is coming along

Just a few bits and bobs to go, and she’ll be ready for paint!

Attachments

• IMG_6788.jpeg
    IMG_6788.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_6789.jpeg
    IMG_6789.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_6791.jpeg
    IMG_6791.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_6792.jpeg
    IMG_6792.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 22
I'm here :) just speechless at the detail. you have a lot more patience than me :)
I love detail but there is a fine line between voluntarily adding your own detail to model as you go and being forced to by the manufacturer if you see what i mean.

Paddy I TOTALLY see what you mean! You get a great item at the end but I’m not convinced this is best way to do it

MP, thanks for the Confirmation!

Yep, I am amazed in silence. Y'all professional types give me great ideas!
And you know me and IDF stuff, I don't know why but I LOVE it! I have an Israeli tank on my shelf I am itching to build.

Ok so here is where we currently “be-at”:

It was warm enough that I was able to get outside and get some paint on this…YAY! I cannot say enuff good things aboot Hataka Paint!
Check the pics, interesting little turn of events unfolds on the next post
IMG_7229.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_7230.jpeg
    IMG_7230.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_7229.jpeg
    IMG_7229.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 13
So the parts that make up the turret cheek baskets were all broken as delivered, plus there was the daunting bit of PE, which would be Super-hard to form. How do I get around that? Well the ol’ man figured that the resin pieces you see on there would be sufficient, as though the baskets were over-stuffed.

But no bro, such as not the case! So I dug thru remnant pieces of this kit and an earlier AFV kit, and scrounged enough same size/color rod to cobble together baskets. Of course the resin parts being already attached made it exponentially harder! I wound up cutting the PE into multiple pieces which made the bends easier, and with the boxes fitted on top you can’t tell, so it came out well in the end, (still need to paint tho’) but all that goofiness equated to aboot 6 hours time, but that is partly my fault

Won’t be posting on this for the next few weeks as Columbia show is then, but it’s still sizing up to be a very good model!
IMG_7237.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_7238.jpeg
    IMG_7238.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_7241.jpeg
    IMG_7241.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_7240.jpeg
    IMG_7240.jpeg
    664.2 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_7239.jpeg
    IMG_7239.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 18
FINALLY some full sized images! :D... watching, just not giving love to thumbnails, never have, never will.

Hey Sharkie, are those rods on the turret cleaning rods, so black?
Or are
They red & white?
Red and white would be for ranging poles. These seem to be overpainted inthe same color as the vehicles but could have ben black once. I have photos of the former but not the latter.

1710117823068.png

Coming along nicely there Bruce! AFV Club kits are always a bit of a challenge but your whipping it into shape. :vgood:

Back