• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Adventures in 3D Printing. Panzers and Fantasy

Then this weekend Kai will have his first Panzer Jaeger 38 parts up and I can start printing upgrades for my kits.

Do you know which products will be available from @Kai? I know he is using the Academy kits as a base but (believe it or not) I passed on those and only have Eduard early & late kits (to steal their interiors which include the correct gun and mount for the G-13), 6x Dragon, 1x Trumpeter (Starr), and 1x Tamiya. I also never got the Thunder Models kits as the owner told me they weren't too thrilled with how it came out.

Regards,

Do you know which products will be available from @Kai? I know he is using the Academy kits as a base but (believe it or not) I passed on those and only have Eduard early & late kits (to steal their interiors which include the correct gun and mount for the G-13), 6x Dragon, 1x Trumpeter (Starr), and 1x Tamiya. I also never got the Thunder Models kits as the owner told me they weren't too thrilled with how it came out.

Regards,
Hetzer Roadwheels w. cross brand hubs are ready
Hetzer Leafspring packges
Initial Hetzer final drive
Hetzer final drive

Hetzer Roadwheels w. cross brand hubs are ready
Hetzer Leafspring packges
Initial Hetzer final drive
Hetzer final drive
"Hetzer?"

Yikes! For people to know he is serious about accuracy, he should be using the correct name "Jagdpanzer 38" and then add for which kit (where he can include the word Hetzer since it appears on the label of the kit) such as:
Jagdpanzer 38 Roadwheels for Academy or Airfix Jagdpanzer 38 (t) "Hetzer" [May be adapted to other kits]
Jagdpanzer 38 Leaf Springs for Academy or Airfix Jagdpanzer 38 (t) "Hetzer" [May be adapted to other kits]
Jagdpanzer 38 Fina Drives for Academy or Airfix Jagdpanzer 38 (t) "Hetzer" [May be adapted to other kits]

Regards,

"Hetzer?"

Yikes! For people to know he is serious about accuracy, he should be using the correct name "Jagdpanzer 38" and then add for which kit (where he can include the word Hetzer since it appears on the label of the kit) such as:
Jagdpanzer 38 Roadwheels for Academy or Airfix Jagdpanzer 38 (t) "Hetzer" [May be adapted to other kits]
Jagdpanzer 38 Leaf Springs for Academy or Airfix Jagdpanzer 38 (t) "Hetzer" [May be adapted to other kits]
Jagdpanzer 38 Fina Drives for Academy or Airfix Jagdpanzer 38 (t) "Hetzer" [May be adapted to other kits]

Regards,
I believe the road wheels are common and the cross brand hubs are specific.
James

So the supports are a different material that reacts to hot water than the rest of the piece?
The supports are the same resin. They are about 1mm round and poke into the part you are making to hold it in place. The hot water before curing makes the resin a bit more pliable and so when you pull the support away it does not leave the little pebbles. Once you cure the part though the supports wont come apart as easy even with hot water. After my first couple of tries printing I started making the supports smaller and removing them before curing when possible. I've read and found out supports are a fine balancing act. Too few or too lite and the part can fall off during printing while too many or too heavy and you can end up with some damage to what you are printing when you start to remove them. Its all a learning curve, but darned if it isnt addicting and fun. Uncle Jesse does a good video here.

James

Last edited:
James you know this is a whole new world of modeling.
For sure and its very cool. I think its like the early days of computing with nerds playing with the latest and greatest until today everbody has one. I think 3D printing will refine enough that it will become a staple of modeling. Maybe with the price of stuff companies will just sell files. Who knows lol.

What I like the idea of is being able to print multiple objects...I have more p-51s in my stash than I care to admit. And have many resin wheels. Making and printing my own wheels would be sweet. But its another black hole to go down😅😅

What I like the idea of is being able to print multiple objects...I have more p-51s in my stash than I care to admit. And have many resin wheels. Making and printing my own wheels would be sweet. But its another black hole to go down😅😅
Yes, much to my chagrin it is a very deep rabbit hole. But oh so fun.

Well this sucks. Had a leak in the FEP last night and a failed print. Now its looking like I will have to replace the screen. So need to do some research and get part numbers from my machine as it has changed a bit and buying a screen for a Saturn does not guarantee you get the proper screen. Sigh. At least the neptune arrived last night and I spent an hour building it. Hoping today to try it out. More to come later.

James I really thinking Santa should bring me one. Is there a buying guide I could check out to help him figure out which to get?
I googled for the best 3d printer but a lot of people in different forums loved the Elegoo Mars 2 Pro. Dave Roof who owns Flying Leatherneck has been doing Marine decals for a lot of years. He recently branched out and got the Mars 2 Pro and then ended up with a bunch more of them. I think he went to the Saturn next. Anyways I was sold. I love the Mars 2 Pro but I has some stuff that would be better on a bigger machine. So I got the Saturn and it is my favourite. I use it all the time. If I had funds I would buy a second one. From what I have seen on Youtube the Mars 3 is awesome also. Its brand new this year and has the same resolution as the Saturn but a plate that is in between the Mars 2 and the Saturn. Its priced in between also and so if you arent sure you want to spend a lot I would go with it.. I also highly recommend getting the Mercury plus if you get the Mars 2 or the Mercury X if you get the Mars 3 or Saturn. The Mercury is a wash and cure station. It is so worth while. If you get the Mars 3 or Saturn the Murcury X fits both print plates and the Mercury X is 2 machines which is so handy. You dont have to keep reconfiguring as I do now. When Christmas is done and I have some money I'll get it. Otherwise research is all I can recommend.

And my printing shop is down for a while. Waiting for a new screen for the Saturn and the Neptune arrived broken. Looks like the X axis motor is pooched. Reset all connections and checked on the Motherboard and thats it for now. Now to wait for Elegoo to get back to me and maybe build some models. So I guess not all is lost.

I googled for the best 3d printer but a lot of people in different forums loved the Elegoo Mars 2 Pro. Dave Roof who owns Flying Leatherneck has been doing Marine decals for a lot of years. He recently branched out and got the Mars 2 Pro and then ended up with a bunch more of them. I think he went to the Saturn next. Anyways I was sold. I love the Mars 2 Pro but I has some stuff that would be better on a bigger machine. So I got the Saturn and it is my favourite. I use it all the time. If I had funds I would buy a second one. From what I have seen on Youtube the Mars 3 is awesome also. Its brand new this year and has the same resolution as the Saturn but a plate that is in between the Mars 2 and the Saturn. Its priced in between also and so if you arent sure you want to spend a lot I would go with it.. I also highly recommend getting the Mercury plus if you get the Mars 2 or the Mercury X if you get the Mars 3 or Saturn. The Mercury is a wash and cure station. It is so worth while. If you get the Mars 3 or Saturn the Murcury X fits both print plates and the Mercury X is 2 machines which is so handy. You dont have to keep reconfiguring as I do now. When Christmas is done and I have some money I'll get it. Otherwise research is all I can recommend.
Thanks James, I'll be smokin' this over.

Well I think I have my printer problem solved and hope to be printing again soon. Meanwhile the new Loot set just came out. WOW. I might have to take up gaming again. The cathedral is amazing I think. Once I understand the new settings a bit better I hope to start printing stuff again. I have 8 different Idler Wheels for the PzJgr 38 to print out and check against my kits. More goodies due soon. Going to have to buy more resin shortly.
Image_Bustss.png
Image_Cathedrals.png
Image_Enemiess.png
Image_Heroess.png
Image_Objectss.png

Last edited:
Awesome James! I love them all. I'm building the Italeri church in 1/72 scale ans it's screaming for an interior. Can I order a set of pews(benches) from you for my church? I think I'd need six or seven. I'd ask for an altar but that one in the pic doesn't quite work for a Catholic church. :blink

Now I need to source some stained glass windows....

Yeah this is more a cult church. I'm still trying to figure out this printer since I changed the screen. I have another print in right now using almost my old settings. If it works I wont be going back to the settings that have been recommended. Why mess with success. The only other new thing I will try is a new FEP. I have 2 tanks that need to have it changed. There is a new FEP called NFEP which is supposed to be even better. Its more resistant to punctures and it is also supposed to be better for the image. We'll see. I'm hoping I can get stuff figured out before I have to go back to work.
James

Back