• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Academy 1/72 scale Me 109E FINISHED

matrixone

Here are the snaps of the quirky Academy Me 109E that I just finished.

A wonderful fitting kit that was badly let down by some poorly done research, the full length 'flaperons' on each wing and the molded in backwards facing exhaust stubs are legendary for a kit of any vintage but this kit is really not that old so these kind of mistakes are hard to understand.

This time of year it is rather difficult to get outside and get pictures of finished models because of all the rain but I really lucked out this time and had a few hours of sunlight between rain showers to get these pictures.

h6d31b15.JPG

hcbe3df3.JPG

hfdd7bfe.JPG

h6328fce.JPG

hbcc47c1.JPG

h7f85459.JPG

h93b792a.JPG

hf5bb31e.JPG

Matrixone

Thanks so much for the kind words!

Another thing that I forgot to mention about building this kit is the decals...the decal sheet was well printed and the larger decals behaved well but for some reason the small stencil markings did not have enough adhesive on them and did not stick to the surface. I used Future to help secure them.

Just today I started another 109 and almost wished I hadn't, it has horrid fit of the parts. :sick:

Matrixone

Thank you Bob and James! :)

Its been decades since I have built a small scale Me 109E and despite all the goofs the Academy kit has with it I like the end result, this is a nice 'back of the shelf' type of model.

The other small scale 109 that I just started is the Hobby Craft Bf 109G-12, sadly this model will not be finished...I decided to cut my losses and move on with something else, after some dry fitting of the larger parts I had seen just how much effort would be needed to make a passable looking model from it and its just not worth it.
The good news (if any) is parts of this model will be used in at least one other new model, you will see before the end of the year. :evil:

Matrixone

Back