• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

88mm PaK43 - Update 9 - Washing

Kreighshoer

well, here are my entry pics with time and date:

Datepic1.jpg

Datepic2.jpg

the pe shield will be quite some challenge but i'm looking forward to that!

grmpf! :vmad

i'm officially pissed! and my pe soldering skills more than clearly suck!

as written in my first post, the shield will be a challenge - well, i absolutely wanted to use the pe shield, so i bent it to shape with the hold 'n fold and to have the strongest bond possible, i decided to solder the joints.

what a bad, bad mistake that was. corner one went smooth like a breeze but corner two gave me more troubles than expected. my soldering iron couldn't provide enough heat to melt the solder and let it flow gently and all of a sudden i had a mountain of solder accumulated on the inside of the shield.

the following sanding bent the shield into all directions possible. the next try of soldering at least fixed that corner but i had to straighten out most of the shield again and afterwards faced tons of fun saning the solder away again.

enough fun?

no!

on the LHS of the shield is a supportive panel that has only four small attachemnt points, so i TRIED to solder that one too ... guess what ...

GMTarkinLaughing.gif

after having recovered from all the laughing, i fetched my new bottle of zap-a-gap to glue it in place ... the glue stuck everywhere but not at the joints ...

... for a change i had to straigthen out the shield again, then i fetched ca gel - first try was the bazillionth blunder of the day, second try held the support shield in place ...

the shield looks like crap but at least i can continue!

pics maybe later or tomorrow - first i have to cool down again!

(i don't want to use the styrene shield! no! i don't want to!)

:bang head

Laura, in one magazine I saw someone use Griffon S-39 solder paste Low temp solder and flux mix that you kind of brush on. Then hit with some heat and done. I am trying to find some here. The bottle in the pic I saw was written in Germany so maybe you might have more luck there if you're interested. Hope that is of some help.
James

thx james - i used flux with a brush - i think it's my soldering iron. my guess is that it can only provide 150°C to the max and that is at least 50°C too little ... whatever - in my rage i did the complete shield. a true pe emporium with the only styrene parts being the two supports for the gun cradle and 30 (!) rivets that act as spacers between outer and inner shield ...

but whatever - that kit is cursed i say!

when i was done with the pics i wanted to prime the shield and what happened?

hahahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

it slipped out of the pliers and fell into the largest pile of dirt that can be found in the attic! :bang head :bang head :bang head

i have enough for today with modelling!

Die Krupps - Fatherland

shield1.jpg

shield2.jpg

:soldier

Laura, in one magazine I saw someone use Griffon S-39 solder paste Low temp solder and flux mix that you kind of brush on. Then hit with some heat and done. I am trying to find some here. The bottle in the pic I saw was written in Germany so maybe you might have more luck there if you're interested. Hope that is of some help.
James

You find the source on that James let me know!!

Laura that shield looks fine, a little clean up on that outer edge and you're golden. After all, they did get beat up some just being transported from one place to another. :soldier

Sorry to hear about the troubles.

Sending a lot of ZEN to you. :zen :zen :zen :zen :zen :zen :zen :zen :zen :zen :zen :zen :zen :zen :zen :zen :zen :zen :zen :zen :zen :zen :zen :zen :zen :zen :zen :zen :zen :zen :zen

Yes,... I like you to beat this 88,....down to the ground!

Greetings,Ron.

I have the same issue with PE! :bang head (have some PanzerIII fenders to deal with when i feel the urge for it)
I really hope you can break the curse and finnish this beast!
:zen :zen :zen :zen :zen :zen :zen :zen
//Mats

Hi Laura (we haven't met but thats your name right ?)

Maybe this advice is out of time. In that case please forget it.
But I used to be an electronic guy long time ago (20-30 years ? time flies...)
You know like building and repairing hifi sets, televisions etc.
Soldering was an all day issue.
And I learned a few very important facts:

- in those days the only ONE soldering iron acceptable for the profs: Weller, because it had a separate transformer and heat control.
(really dont know what is top these days)
- soldering large surfaces is no problem as long as the surface is CLEAN like a baby-skin. Polish it as good as you can.
- Use NO fluids or stuff whatsoever, everything you need is in the right soldering-wire: it MUST be with a resin core

That was good enough to even solder no-copper metals.
And if too much solder after the job: just file it away...

Really hope it helps, although I have little experience with PE, its just a kind of copper.

Succes !! Willem

Always good points to keep in mind Willem.

One thing though, you say no fluids, everything is in the resin core, so you don't need to use any flux??

Hi Moonpuppy,

As said, this is ancient knowledge, and I never did PE.

But: NO, absolutely no flux or other stuff. The flux is IN the wire when it is the right kind. Just bare cleaned metal.
Anything else could influence electronic currents or even oxydate !

Its also important to have your tip clean: wipe off on a moist sponge, little solder on it and wipe off again.
The wire should be thinner then 1 mm and must be placed in a 45 degree angle between tip and metal, touching both.
Dont push, it will melt and flow by itself.
The Weller station was only 50 watts, but that was enough to do anything.

Hope it helps, Willem

thanks for your input willem, i have a weller soldering station at work but making loudspeaker cables seems to be a bit different from soldering pe ... maybe i'll borrow the station for my next major pe work ...

well, the cruciform is done - typically trumpeter there's a lot of flash and knockout marks but everybody who ever worked with a trumpeter kit knows what to expect! this is no critizism, the fit is great and the breakdown of parts very clever ...

Controlled Fusion - War

cruciform1~0.jpg

cruciform2~0.jpg

:soldier

Hi Laura
A solder sucker is a useful tool to have around for removing useless globs of solder, easier than sanding or filing.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=370-030&utm_source=googleps

HTH,
Tom

Back