• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

7.5 cm PaK 40/4 auf RSO

Howdy folks,

I have the chance to work on the new DML kit for an upcoming article in Military Modelcraft International. The kit itself is a fairly quick build, not a lot of parts. I will say, however, that the folks who designed the suspension and wheels must have been smoking something that day. The engineering is really half-a$$ed with quite a bit of play between the parts and guess work involved. Also, the mounting pins for the road wheels are almost non-existent making them a sure bet to be broken off at some point (I would suggest adding a small brass pin).

On the other hand the gun is a little gem, while the remainder of the kit is basic DML - good fit and finish.

Ok - a couple of construction shots.

Of note: apparently the seats provided with the kit are based upon a post-war restoration using modern US pattern seats. Originally (shown in first photos) I fashioned new, basic truck styled seats from brass wire and epoxy - I later changed them out for modified Jeep seats.

6p.jpg

3p.jpg

7p.jpg

Now for the fun part - painting. I wanted to show a fairly worn vehicle - late winter/early spring with a few remnants of the winter white wash still showing. Can you say "hairspray"?

Base color for the underlying cargo bed color and for overall shadow is a dark rusty color mixed from German Grey and Hull Red.

10p.jpg

11p.jpg

The process continues - base colors

12p.jpg

13p.jpg

14p.jpg

Now for a little scrubbing to show wear in the rear compartment.

15p.jpg

A layer of Future to protect the base and then another layer of hairspray...

16p.jpg

White washed applied - and then scrubbed off.

17p.jpg

18p.jpg

Weathering and detail work using oils and filters....lot's of back and forth.

21p.jpg

19p.jpg

22p.jpg

I'll be switching out the kit's magic tracks for Fruils - they just arrived yesterday.

A quick shot of where I'm at right now. I'll continue to refine the paintwork using oils mostly, add a few cargo items and probably a end up putting it on a base with a figure or two. But that's down the road yet....

For now -

24p.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Rick

Seriously good construction and painting Rick !!!!!!!!

I also like the way you`ve taken us through your processes

I know Dave Grummit personally and I think hes done a great job with the magazine, looking forward to this being in MMI

Thank you for sharing

Andy

Another point to mention is the exhaust. Put them on before the side rails. The instructions could have been a bit better there also. Thats where I left off on mine. BTW where you annoyed with the drive shaft construction? I think 1 piece would have been good. Looks awesome Rick and now I know what mine should look like when I get back to it. (y) (y) (y)
James

maybe the engineers had smoked some bad ganola instead of some better stuff of dutch origin?

in any case it's another show stopper from you rick and way awesome! your works are really sheer joy to watch!

really missed seeing your magic paint brushes! ;)

Seriously, that's some major paint'n you got going on buddy, I can see your skills has only sharpened to a fine hone. Thanks for sharing!

Wow Rick , truly nice finish or lack there of . Wonder how well that would work for a British night fighter finish ?

Cheers, Christian

Outstanding build so far, and thank you for providing the step by step pictures. It's really helpful for us modeling noobs...

med3d-bravo.gif

Now how did I miss this. :notworthy :notworthy As usual Rick, your painting is out of this world. That Shadow Brown is the cats meow, I use it all the time.
See you in Va. buddy :Hiay

Rob
www.scratchmod.com

Great work as always Rick, Is that XF-57 Buff you have used for the tricolor base? I see you have also fallen for a Dragon instructions error. The part b32 that you have glued at the back of the recoil rail should actually go up under the breech block of the gun. and the 2 parts b38 go all the way forward where you can't see them at all. Love Dragon subjects, Dislike their instructions! Once again great work. Regards Dean

RICK,

:ro: ! Great Job ! Looks Killa' ! You've got that Hairspray method down ! Outstanding !!

Question:
I was wondering as well ... What did you use as your Dunkelglelb ? Is it a lightened Dk yellow ?

How long did you let th Future rest before shooting th hairspray ? Overnight ?

How long did you let the Hairspray rest before th scrubbing ? I've heard of some guys leaving it over night & some guys will only let it set for 2 hours or so.

Thanx in Advance & I look forward to seeing you at AMPS in April !!

Again ... Another Rockin' build !! :ro: :dude (y) :notworthy

ERIK

Back