• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

32 scale wildcat....calling it done

32 scale wildcat....the engine

i think my favorite thing to do is the cockpits of these builds. once i get past them i tend to calm down a bit as far as trying to add detail. i have the fuse together for this, working on the seams now. not sure how much i am going to add from this point. i could not bring myself to try to work up the firewall and all the additions that are possible between the engine and the point where the gear attach. i just dont have the ref material nor do i have the ability to do what others have done to this kit to make it right.

joe

mp i just found your work on this kit. stunning. absolutely stunning.

went back and looked at a few of the build ups for this kit. thinking mine will revert back to oob from this point. this kit looks to be beyond my skill level for anything other than oob. seeing so much on the problems that to be honest i am wondering why i began it. overwhelming.

joe

Thank you Joe. I tell ya there are a lot better kits out there to do what I think you want to do on this. You really have to have a good base to start with like that Tamiya Stuart you did. This kit ain't one of them imho.

Joe if it don't kill you you'll be a better man for it. :idonno

Being in over your head is the best way to learn. :good:

Tony lee

tony that may be but there comes a time.....

ok folks a decision needed to be made and i made it. we are keeping this as simple as i can. the fixes i was looking at were overwhelming. too much for me, caused me to put the kit away for a couple of days. just too much. with that in mind i have closed the optional panels and have the tailfins about ready. i have also worked a little on the wings, got some more to do them before i will be happier. i worked the landing gear tonight and not really pleased with it. sits a bit off to my eyes but it will work for this. with this change in my build strategy i have enthusiasm again with this build but more for the painting and finishing stages. i want to finish it up right.

update with pics should be up tomorow.

joe

32 scale wildcat....full body shot

wow got on a bit of a roll for sure yesterday.

the wings are in the down position. since the pics they are now also attached. she looks like a wildcat now.

first up is how the pit and the engine framework fit into the fuse. believe the reviews. these two parts did not line up correctly. not by a long shot. i monkied with it for a while and got it where i could be happy but it doesnt fit in there correct.

interior-2_zpse85ee0bc.jpg

interior-1_zps3b58e7a9.jpg

now how the body looks.

full-body-1_zps1375de46.jpg

full-body-2_zpsf8c011c2.jpg

and the wings.

wings_zps494b6527.jpg

now with all that has happened with this is i am pretty pleased with the overall look. she will look decent with paint. i am going to glue the flaps closed and the tail feathers neutral. just to keep myself from going nuts.

comments, critiques, and criticisms are encouraged.

joe

32 scale wildcat....full body shot

interior-1_zps3b58e7a9.jpg

See that gap between the top of the firewall and IP to the top of the fuselage half? That's the result of the failed first shot of this kit. That area from the cockpit forward was shaped badly, too low. The fixed the fuselage halves but didn't bother fixing those parts, guess it's not really necessary.

Fine job so far Joe :pilot

32 scale wildcat....painted lady

well that was somewhat quick.

we have color.

and yet another screw up by me and another wonderful suprise from the kit.

first my screwup. when i went to paint i thinned the paint way way way too thin. much much more thin than i have done before. not sure what i was thinking. well after a couple of attempts that ended in runny failure, rather than waste the mix i took a step back and misted the mix on from about 18 to 24 inches. repeated until the color appeared. not sure i like it but i am going forward.

i did have to touch up a couple of runny spots but here she is.

paint-2_zps3d21b066.jpg

paint-4_zps5cefe22c.jpg

paint-3_zpsc1121e7d.jpg

paint-1_zps6d194f70.jpg

you cant really see it but there is enough of a base i can play a little with some weathering. not too much but some.

now for the suprise. when i went to attach the glass to this i first dipped them in future and when i went to remove the windscreen from the spru i found a long crack. almost separating the windscreen in two. of course it also follows a path across a spot that is suposed to be a window. figures. par for the course with the way this build is going.

got to keep the enthusiasm up........got to keep the enthusiasm............

last kit that was like this for me was an icm 1/48 p-51b that had canyons for seams. you could put fingers through the openings.

thinking i can have fun though. the weathering will be fun. i hope.

comments, critiques, and criticisms are encouraged.

joe

32 scale wildcat....marked up

Only offering encouragement. Git'er done Joe. :popcorn

mp you have all been very encouraging, not only to myself but to all the members. thank you.

well just a short update.

over the last day or so i have tried to clean up the wash, thrown a clear coat on, slapped some decals on, another clear coat, and started to paint up the landing gear, exterior fuel tanks, prop, assorted small bits, and exhausts.

after all the issues i spent a great deal of time with the decals. i wanted to improve my attempts at them. i spent about two hours with them and got them to sit pretty clean without even the solvent. i then did hit them with solvent just to make sure they were down and then clear coated them to prepare to weather them a bit.

marking-4_zpsdb308786.jpg

marking-1_zps7c1f4ada.jpg

marking-2_zpse7fdcd0e.jpg

marking-3_zpscaa2e0e1.jpg

one mishap, my fault. when cleaning up the prop for painting it dropped out of my hand and snapped one of the blades off. it was a pretty clean break and i think i got it repaired but none the less another mishap.

comments, critiques, and criticism are encouraged.

joe

32 scale wildcat....marked up

you are all very kind. thank you.

the jig was just to keep the little bits on the bottom of the fuse from breaking off.

joe

Back