• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1929 Ford Woody

Ok, meanwhile back at the ranch...

I have everything primed:
1000009180.jpg

I thought I would try oil paints for the "woody" parts. Probly a mistake, but it looks good, even though it be a couple of days before I can continue:
1000009184.jpg
1000009186.jpg

I am trying to make the seats look like leather:
1000009187.jpg

I used Gold Ochre, titanium white, cadmium yellow, and raw umber mixed with a drying medium and stippled the colors onto a base of yellow acrylic. I waited an hour, then went back with a flat stenciling brush to really make the leather texture. A couple more sessions should make that look great.

I white walled the tires with enamel and tidyed up with Ivory Black oil paint.
1000009185.jpg

I got the suspension parts put together, painted, and added the tires:
1000009181.jpg

The weird thing is, both axles are attached by a tiny pin at the top of each spring arch. Surely there was more sturdy attachment methods than that.
1000009182.jpg

The hood is primed then based with yellow:
1000009183.jpg

I still haven't decided what color the front of the wagon should be. My reference photos have a green front and it looks great

1000008904.jpg

What to do, what to do?

I wiped off the oil paint mess I had started on the wooden panels and went with acrylics. Leather brown base and a drybrush of white was how I started this time. I then built up layers using various Vallejo colors of Wood, light brown, buff, and ivory. I drybrushed around the edgeas with raw umber oil paint with a final overall wash was burnt umber oil. I used Trainer Yellow enamel for the wood bar separations.
1000009233.jpg

The interior door latches are Gloss black enamel as well as are the bolt and screw heads.

The floor bottom was painted the same was as the side pannel wood with a few more scratches and scuffs. The seats which had been leather textured got a rub down and wipe of raw umber oil paint, then a pin wash of black oil paint. The hardware for the seats is gloss black enamel. Were there seatbelts in these things? I don't see any in the references. I superglued the seats in place, and added the gear shifter and brake.
1000009236.jpg
1000009237.jpg

Not pictured, but made, are the pedals from wire and styrene. I am going to let Bob add the third row seat if he wants it. I have given serious thought to opening the drivers door. I had thought briefly about opening all four doors but decided that was beyond my skill level. After rethinking it all, if I do open a door, it would either be just the driver's or both front. The tailgate will be operable.

The interior ceiling has been treated with gloss white, leather brown, and trainer yellow enamel.
1000009238.jpg

I am waiting for the exterior wood to dry before going much further on the body. The metal plates are gloss black enamel.
1000009232.jpg

I have decided on Humbrol #03 Brunswick Green for the front of the cab and the hood.

That is pretty much it!

Seatbelts, we don't need on stinkin' seatbelts? When I was a babe I road around in a crib over the engine deck of a Chevy Greenbriar just bouncing around with all my brothers and sisters.

Looks spot on Greg. :popcorn

Really like the coloring on this Greg! Only suggestion critique I have is the yellow outlines on the wood panels should be a little crisper (straighter?). If they are somewhat hidden by the build I get it that they don't need to be. Overall it looks really good!
3D-Looks Good.gif

This was a frustrating build for me. I had the engine cover hinged to open, but couldn't see any way to use magnets to keep the passenger side closed. The drivers side couldn't open because of the spare tire holder. Also, the white enamel on the tires never dried. I found that out when white fingerprints and smudges appeared all over the car. What?! Yep, white was still sticky a week later. I put two coats of the AK clear I had used and the white is no longer coming off. I have NO idea what the future will bring by doing that. The only thing left to do is find chains small enough for the tailgate.
1000009374.jpg
1000009376.jpg
1000009381.jpg
1000009377.jpg
1000009379.jpg

Back