• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/96 scale USS Constitution build.

Yep. Callin' horseshit on "The last photo of USS Constitution under sail.
I think the description was applied to the photo before 1997, and it still just "floats" 👈🤭 around on the official website with it attached. I was curious about how the white gunport stripe appears to remain straight to the tip of the bow, but in the other demasted, at anchor pic, it's clearly painted that way. A mid 1800's scheme I guess. Plus it looks like the headrails had been filled in at this point.

I have a major set back that has occurred amidships. I discovered the "iron" rails that go in this area are missing from my kit 🤔
I've spent a few days figuring out what to do. Since the hull is molded with notches for them, that are way oversized, it was causing a problem that I couldn't get around. Also looking at period line drawings of the ship there's only five rails on each side. The kit has eight. The 1813 model built by the crew confirms only five as well. This left only one thing to do...putty the notches. It's going to be some tricky business sanding with everything around them on the model already finished. I've made the rails from styrene. This may not go well...
IMG_20220123_133243584.jpg

Sure it suxz that this happened but you got this. I may not fully understand but it really does not look that bad and workable in the end.
Slow and steady wins the race.
:drunksailor:

Thanks for shoulders guys. This area of the model looks to me like it'll be a good place to snag lines on during the rigging stage. I might get it ready to install the rails, but wait till later to add them.

If I remember correctly, I found that it was easier to start at the deck with the rigging lines and then run them up through the blocks and such then tie them off up in the masts where there was plenty of room. With all the lines going to the deck, it became quite crowded and was easier to start there and run the lines up.

Good Save!
"20 years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did do.
So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream Discover."
Mark Twain.

Well, well. Look at me. I'm not half way through the Constitution build when my lovely wife surprises me with this present. She's determined to keep me in the workroom for the next five years!
IMG_20220208_194117790.jpg

Back